General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Oil Removal Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Default Oil Removal Pump

I am interested in using a pump to remove the oil from my 2007 C230. While I have done hundreds of oil changes over the years, this is a new concept to me...and at my age, I find it an appealing alternative to crawling on my back under a car on jack stands or dropping hundreds of bucks at the Mercedes shop.

I find there are a number of different tools available for fluid removal, ranging from hand operated pumps, compressor powered pumps to motor driven pumps.

I am interested in knowing specifically which of these have been successfully employed. I notice the dipstick tube has a pretty small diameter, so I suspect some of the pumps I have seen would not fit down the tube.

I have access to a compressor, but don't really mind the idea of manually pumping out the oil if it is a practical, once a year event. But I would like to buy the right solution the first time if possible.

I'm also interested in the filter. Any particular brand? Comes with o-rings?

I thank you in advance for your input.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:10 AM

Mercedes are designed to have the oil sucked out of them. The location of the dipstick allows oil to be extracted from the lowest point of the oil pan.

If you drain the oil from the drain plug you remove less old oil than by using the extraction method.

I use a Pela http://www.pelaproducts.com/ and find it to be quick and clean. I think mine is the 6 litre model.

Bill

Old 01-06-2010, 12:33 PM

False??

I guess my dealer and their mechanics must be wrong. It is also the warranty approved methods for all new models in fact the Smart (a division of MB) does not even use a drain plug.

Bill

Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 PM

If using a proper oil extractor you will get all the oil out. Not sure about the model above. Extraction is the method approved by Mercedes-Benz not the dealer! At my dealer some techs use them and some don't. For me when doing a service I tend to drain the oil. It is faster because It can be draining while I am balancing the wheels, getting parts and doing other work.