General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Odometer stopped working. Help Plz.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Default RE: Odometer stopped working. Help Plz.

Ok, still trying to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what I've found out so far...

If I rotate the black wheel next the ones digit, it will turn the tripometer 1/10's digit and eventually the odometer's ones digit. There are little white "star" type wheels that turn each digit. If I can turn the little white star wheels with my fingures, the digits won't turn when I turn the black wheel next to the ones digit. Sorry I'm confusing, but I dont know what they're called.

Additionally, there's a white spiral-like rod behind the 40mph marking that's in contact with a black wheel attached to a rod that runs through the digits. I popped out the black wheel and rod that runs through the digits and turned it with my hand. It makes the ones digit turn.

My questions is, is the white star-like rod suppose to turn also? I couldn't turn it with my hand. It's the rod that's coming out of the back of the metal housing.

Please help if you can. THanks

Old 06-05-2006, 09:52 PM

Try this site http://diymbrepair.com/.
Go down to odometer repair.
SHAN

Old 05-23-2007, 03:48 PM

I went to the site you mention (http://diymbrepair.com/. ) Shan and removed the panel under the steering wheel, but then it says to pull the odometer cable an inch or two through the firewall. what does the odometer cable look like? where is it? Thanks for your help.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: tygger

Hello everyone, I drive a 1990 300E and the odometer and tripometer on my car has recently stopped working. Everything else in the dash is working normally, but the mileage is stuck. It looks like it stopped in the middle of a change because some of the numbers are in transition.

Does anyone know if I can fix this myself? Do they even sell new odometers? If so, how can I buy one so it reads accurately because I don't want it to start at 0.

Thanks for your help.
Hi tygger... Logan here. I think you better check your eletrical wirings behind the odometer. Something might just be losse back there.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:21 PM

how do you get the instrument panel out, I can get it out a little but not enough. Help please