General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

New owner of a 1982 300d turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Default New owner of a 1982 300d turbo

Well I'm new to the site and as of today I'm a new owner of a Powder Blue 1982 300d Turbo!

I'm very happy. It has about 175,000 miles no rust at all!and runs great. It does have some cosmetic issues. The current latch for the hood was rigged with a hangerso you have to pull it to release the latch The passenger side door Rearview mirroris falling off. The drivers side door had the door handle hit off and the door is dented also but not to bad. Currently the driver side door handle sits on the floor.

When buying parts for my car what years and parts are interchangeable if there is such a thing with aMB 300d Turbo. Such as can I use SD parts? As you can see I'm very new to this.

Before I go out and spend needless money on high priced parts sites,what arethe most popular online vendors when buying parts for my car?

I'm not familiar with this site but if I have offloaded pictures of my carcan I post them so others can see what parts I might need?

Thanks
Proud owner of a MB

Old 05-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Default RE: New owner of a 1982 300d turbo

Hi - Congrats on owning a 300td. I had one some years ago and it was a great machine. If you have not owned a diesel before you need to catch up on a few things. Try to never run out of fuel. If the system sucks air it will have to be bled. Sometimes it will crank out, sometime not. U.S. diesel is very dirty and a fuel additive is recommended. I drive an old BMW 524td and pour in a few ounces of auto tranny fluid with every fill up. It lubricates the injection pump and is as good as the additives you can buy. The new ULSD (ultra low sulpher diesel) is hard on old pump seals and the Injection Pump might start to leak. Tranny fluid will postpone that day. It should be rebuilt with Viton seals if you are going to get it done.
I live in Canada and a trick to starting diesels in cold weather is to boost the glow plugs with a seperate battery. I can't remember if the 300d has 12volt plugs but some cars are 8volt and burn out if they are direct boosted. Don't let a tow truck driver boost this way.
I sold my 300td 7 years ago with 140,000 miles on it and the guy that bought it is still driving it. Good luck with yours.
Steve B

Old 05-08-2008, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the kind words and the great information!!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:18 PM

greetings welcome to the 300d turbo car , i have a good source for new and used parts , i dont know where you live maybe it is to great of a distance ,some smaller stuff can be shipped cheap, i own 2 300 sd turbo cars , but i have used parts for 300 d turbo also , 1980 to 1985 123 chassis is the same so if i can help let me know thanks eric

Old 05-09-2008, 10:04 PM

I live in Orange County, New York. I will defiantly take you up on your offer. I will be picking up the car tomorrow. After a few days I will be able to determine what partsexactly are needed.

After a quick look at the time of purchase:

Passenger side Rear view mirror seems to be broken
Front Hood is rigged with Hanger to open. Not sure what parts that entails
Front Driver side exterior handle might be unrepairable
Front Driver side window does not go up

Also whats a good book to buy to see the breakdown of everything and gives details on the car?