General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

need a wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Default need a wiring diagram

1996 s600 #21 fuse blowing, has a dead short

Old 10-02-2006, 03:21 AM
Default RE: need a wiring diagram

Hi,

I believe that f21 is a 7.5A fuse and is one of four fuses controlling the instrument cluster. It is located in the LH electronics box under the hood (as you must already be aware!)

The wiring for S Class is part digital (CAN) and I wonder whether a wiring diagram will actually help you. Modern wiring diagrams are no longer like the old style circuits that you may be familiar with. Nowadays they just show a few wires going between multiple black boxes. For instance the Instrument cluster A1 and all its associated internal wiring will be shown as a single box. The best that I suspect we will find is that f21 goes to pin X on A1 (or some other black box) and is a certain colour (in German!) and size. I will look up the diagram and make it available if you provide me with your email via a Private Message.

The only component that I can think of that may give rise to such a problem (at least that a customer can rectify) is a shorted incandescent bulb in the back of the cluster. To gain access to these you will require the special tools (available eBay etc) in order to remove the instrument cluster. There are about 6 such bulbs. You need to ensure that none of these has fused and the contacts shorted together. To do this you will need a good multimeter or a set of new bulbs.

Whilst you do this I will in the mean time access the wiring diagram to see whether I can glean any additional information.

Are there any associated symptoms. Presumably your instrument pack isn't working in someway!

Stuart.