General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

need some help,

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Default need some help,

hey guys,
have been away for a little time in europe and now back in states.. well i was wondering if anyone could tell the procedures of replacing a sunroof assembly and tracking on a 300SE and how much time will it take and also time and diifucilties or how easy replacing the headgasket on it also.. never worked on any 300SE model so yeah any info really appreciated .. thanks

Last edited by Benz_190; 07-12-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:22 AM
Default RE: need some help,

I also have an 300SE, but with 300,000+ miles. I have had to replace the Mercedes head gasket three times. First time the dealer did it ($400) and it lasted just beyond the warranty period. The next two times I did it, costing a total of $25 for the gasket, $40 for the tools to lock the cam and injection pump, and $25 for new timing belts. But when I ask my friend, he gave me a step by step instruction to do it all by my self without costing so much… Hope this could help out.

[ol][*] Remove all the auxillary components untill you can see the timing belt and timing marks, DO NOT remove the belt at this stage, turn the engine over by hand until you have the timing marks all lined up as per the book, try not to turn the engine by the cam or pump pulley as that will put excessive loads on the belt, it may help to remove the injectors or glow plugs to take the compression load off the engine.[*] Take a photograph or make a drawing of how everything fits together, if you are now confident as to how it all goes back together remove the belt and cylinder head, DO NOT turn the crankshaft, camshaft or injection pump during this operation as the valves can hit the pistons.[*] If you have a blown gasket and the head is flat you are in luck, however my experience with overheated diesels here in Australia (we have extremely hot summers, therefore lots of cooked engines) would lead me to think that the head is cracked, look carefully between the valve seats and the glow plug and injector holes and any other thin casting section, if in doubt have the head crack tested, Also remember if the head is warped it is also possible that the cam bearing tunnel is out of line, check that the camshaft turns freely. Inspect the top of the block around the bolt holes and between the cylinders as well.[*] To reassemble, make sure the marks on the crank and pump are in the proper place, while the head is still on the bench put the camshaft mark in the corret place and put the head back on, as always do not turn the crank or cam, with all the marks in the right place slip the belt back on and tension it, you are now home and hosed.[*] Have a few beers, good luck. [/ol]I don't have though any idea about sunroof.. Goodluck..