General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Need help plz

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Default Need help plz

how much does it cost for a job for a 30 cm scratch on a mercedes benz convertable?
i dont know the exact model, can u guys give me an estimate?

Old 08-27-2006, 04:05 AM
Default RE: Need help plz

The fact that it is an MB conbertible doesn't make any difference.
Nature of scratch, position and vehicle colour is very important. Also the QUALITY of the finished job.
A scratch this long most probably requires a local respray. dependent upon location/ Yhis may require adjacent panels to be painted so that a change in colour is not noticeable.
Metallics cannot be successfully "spot" repaired due to "flip" tone issues (direction that the particle lie), Colour may look OK from one direction yet from another can look totally wrong.
Ifyou have a solid colour, breathe a sigh of relief.

In addition a MB dealer will charge more (loan car and coffee!) than a local shop but the job may be no better. Just depends on whether you trust and know the quality of the local guy.

Final point is nature of scratch. If it is very light it may be "polished out"( especially if it is new Clear over Base type paint. i.e. base colour coat not damaged.) If it is deep (or in fact a slight dent) then the area will require preparation (sanding back over sufficient area to hide the repair) before painting.
etc etc.

Without a pic it could cost anything.

Lets have a WILD guess.
2 hrs prep (200) + materials (50) + tax (?) =250 USD?

Stuart