General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Need 1 new rim, is a dealership my only option

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Default Need 1 new rim, is a dealership my only option

One of my rims cracked and the dealership qutoed me a price of almost $300 for a new one. i'd rather not spend that much.

They refused to give me the product number of my rims. Is there another way i can obtain this information? If so, is there somewhere else i can go to to get a rim, new or used.

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Default RE: Need 1 new rim, is a dealership my only option

What model is your car, Stevie boy?

I must say your dealer must be extra arrogant. So, this is what you do for the first step if you so desire the actual MB part number. You ask for a price-quote -- a printed one to be exact. Voila, there is the part number on a lovely 8.5" x 11"-size slightly-scented Letter-size 92-White laser-printed paper.

All the MB dealers WILL give me a part number when I ask -- no matter I am buying or not. Are you sure you did not agitate them one way or another?

Just like windows, an auto-maker does not manufature the rims themselves. They use a common vendor. Then, they would slap a proper center ornament, in your case is a three-pointed star. I found most W203 rims at tirerack. So check there. They have nice selections and excellent customer service.

If I have extra time, I would go back to the dealership and ask for the big boss. Then I would ask the big boss the name of the rigional manager for the purpose of informing the RM of the dealership's rude behavior. Things should be sprinkled with sugar after that.

Old 12-19-2005, 05:45 PM

thanks so much for your advice. I have a C230 Kompressor sports coupe.

Basically I spoke to the dealership over the phone, so its possible they would have given me the part number in person.

In detail, what happened was I had a very slow leak on one of my tires. Since it was time for new tires anyhow, i got them all replaced at pep boys (that might have been my first mistake). Later that day, i had a flat. I went back to pep boys to find out the tire was still fine, but that i had a cracked rim. How they didn't notice that in the first place, i have no idea.

It was my right rear tire that had a slow leak, and my left front one that got a flat. I don't know if the rim from the rear, got thrown on the front (thereby being the cause of both problems) or what. Maybe pep boys cracked the rim, is that even possible?

Thanks again for the help.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:00 PM

It's very unlikely that Pep Boys damaged your rim.

There are two possible ways you can crack a rim while a tire is attached. One: You have low profile tires and you ran over a pot-hole. Two: You hit the curb.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:24 PM

Watch eBay. If your rim is stock, pull one off. The part number is usually on one of the spokes on the back side. You will also find diameter, width, and offset.