General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

My car is almost sitting on the front tires!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Default My car is almost sitting on the front tires!!

1994 E-320 Wagon, 216,000 miles

The car has maybe an inch on the passenger side and 2 on the driver's side until it's just resting on the tires. When I turn too far right, it rubs. If I have people in the car just the slightest turn of the wheel makes it rub. The car is visibly leaning to the right.
I get some warning lights sometimes. My ABS light comes on, and the SRS light too. I think one of them said it had to do with tire size? Could my tires be too big? The size on the tires is different than what the manual says. Any help/suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Old 12-25-2008, 01:05 AM
Default RE: My car is almost sitting on the front tires!!

Something definitely wrong!

"Why is the car low" is the issue that you need to answer. ABS warning etc are likely as a result of the low ride height.

Yes with the car low and oversize tyres they would rub.

So what size is fitted and what was the OE fit.

So when did the problem occur etc.

Since your vehicle is fitted with conventional springs on the front the springs must be broken or somebody changed themn to make the car look good!!

Old 12-25-2008, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

I second the springs, snanceki.
My old 190 had a good ride height until it turned 19 years old, then the front just started to get lower and lower at the rate of about one half inch per week. The rusty springs just got (old) and lost their ability to bear the weight. If you replace your springs, let the dealer know it is due to (fatigue) and NOT a (collision), ora collision mayl be reported on your vehicle record.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the advice. I just had a friend of mine who tinkers with cars tell me the same thing, that it's likely the springs. Can anyone give me a ballpark price for that? Also, about how long should it take to fix? I just don't want to get taken when I go looking for estimates to repair the work. Thanks!

Old 12-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

My springs were only about $90 each at the dealer for authentic MB springs; In and out while you wait. I tried to do it myself and nearly got killed. The cheap spring compressor I bought let go, and allowed one spring to shoot around the shop like a bullet; it was like a cartoon, except I dont have 9 lives. In the old days, we used to compress the springs nealy all the way, then tie steel wire around them in four places, then undo the clamps. we could then place the spring in place with ease, then simply cut the wires. The newer models are scientifically designed to baffle the do it yourselfer, and I suppose there is some special tool for doing it now in one minute; let em have it.

Blue

Old 12-26-2008, 01:35 AM

Straight guess 2hrs not unreasonable by the time you take into account getting the springs, removing wheels, rusted fixings etc but of course somebody will tell me they changed both in 15mins,.
Guess it depends on your motivation and reason for doing the job.
Warranty times for this job (on any type of car) will give you a better indication of the time the manufacturers would allow (when they are paying) for this job and assume everything will be straightforward (no rust etc during warranty period) with the correct equipment. 20mins a side?
Straightforward job that can be undertaken by any garage and competent DIYer (taking the appropriate precautions).
Springs are dangerous things when compressed!
Stuart