General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Mountain Drivers-- Error at High Elevation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Default Mountain Drivers-- Error at High Elevation?

Hi all,

I drive an '09 ML550, and the navigation crashes every time we drive in at high elevation. It seems shut off around 10,000 ft, and the COMAND systems says "Drive Unavailable--Temperature too High." Obviously this is something related to the altitude of the car. It only affects the nav (which becomes inoperable); the radio and everything else functions normally.

I talked to MB in New Jersey and also the local dealer. Allegedly they were "aware" of the problem, and admitted it was tied to a glitch at altitude. Unfortunately, we live in Colorado and drive above 10,000 ft regularly.

Anyone else with a similar problem...or even better, a solution?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 PM

I live in Texas and was in Colorado snow skiing this past week. We traveled over Monark Pass (10,000' +) both going and coming and we received the same COMMAND system error "Drive Unavailable -- Temerature too High" each time.

We have a '11 ML350BTC so it seems they still haven't fixed the glitch. We just returned yesterday so we aren't aware of a solution. I'm taking it in for the Service A next week. I'll report what I learn.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Default Drive Unavailable

I have an 09 G550. I got the same error when I was in the Mountains of Colorado. Nav stopped working as well and it said to restart the system after temperature returned to normal. I was passing a lot of cars so I thought it meant Drive was unavailable because the transmission temperature was too high but the car stayed in drive and I kept driving. I thought surely Mercedes would test their transmission coolers to handle some mountain driving with no trailer weight. There were no errors on the dash so I wasn't too concerned and I couldn't find anything in the owners manual. The error also popped up when I was on level ground a couple times at about 8,000 feet so I thought it must be altitude related.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Default same message on my 2011 G55

I've been getting the "Drive Unavailable temperature too high" as soon as I go beyond 9000 feet. I'm planning to take my car to the dealership and ask them why is that happening.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Default Mountain Driving "Drive unavailable temp to high"

I live in Colorado and I drive a 2011 ML 350. I also rec'v the error message "Drive unavailable temp to high". It happens at approx 10,500 feet of elevation.

Has anyone contacted Mercedes Benz North America 800-222-0100 about this condition? I have, and I have not gotten a response. Talking with the dealership only gets you a written, 5 para letter that in effect says; "yup we know about the problem and we are not going to fix it"! By the way the problem was fixed in 2012 models with a complete redesign of the system.