General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

ML steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Default ML steering rack

My steering rack was leaking oil from the dust boot so I decided that I would give it a go and try to change it. The problem I am having is I can get it the old rack out. I unbolted the front differential to gain clearance but I can't seem to place it in the correct position to slide out. After spending 2 hours twisting and turning I'm getting close to reinstalling the old rack and taking it to the shop but that's why I'm asking for one last plea for help.

Does anyone know how to remove the rack? Do I need to remove the front axles and drop the differential (if that's the case, I'm putting it back together the way it was and bringing it to the shop).

Thanks for any help,
Nick

Old 01-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Default RE: ML steering rack

Did you check to see if there was any damage due to the broken dust booth? If the dust booth cracked recently and there is still plenty of grease in it. You might not to change the rack, just take off the old booth clean it well and repack with grease and put on a new booth. I have done this on several cars over the years, Remvoing the rack is not for anyone without experience and not the faint hearted.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Default RE: ML steering rack

The boot was undamaged. When I removed the boot the oil (I say oil because the fluid looks just like motor oil) poured out. I asked a repair shop that specializes in Mercedes how much it would be worst case but they would not give me a quote without seeing it.

I then thought I would try to replace it myself and I have it all apart but I just can't remove it from the car. If I don't get any ideas I'm just going to put it all back together and bring it to the shop. It's just so frustrating that I have to reinstall the broken part when I have the new one sitting in my garage.

Thanks for the input
Nick