General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

ML 270 cdi not starting....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Default ML 270 cdi not starting....

hi guys...

I bought an ML 270 cdi this week - Very nice motor......but, twice now its just spun over and not started - any idea's folks !?!?
Some one said "heater plugs" (and my wife has said the coil light lit up while she was driving the other day..), although I wonder if it might be some sort of fuel switch or pump problem.
I'm due to ring the garage tomorrow where I got it from, but wanted some back-up ideas to throw at them if they tried to shrug it off on to me.

cheers for your help !!

Bri.....

Old 03-25-2006, 04:50 AM
Default RE: ML 270 cdi not starting....

Does your vehicle have a "coil" light and a "Check Engine" light or do they share the same bulb? . These functions are often doubled up on diesels.

If they share the same bulb then the on board computer has detected a fault which has corrected itself thus extinguishing the light once again.

Check your handbook

The Yellow Check Engine light comes on to advise when the on board diagnostics have detected a problem that requires the car to go to a garage to have the computer read. This process only takes a moment or too (but is inevitably chargeable). The codes (if any are present) will indicate the possible source of the problem.

Stuart

Old 03-25-2006, 10:07 AM

The coil light come on after starting for about 20 seconds, then goes out.

Most of the time it's 100%....just a couple of non-starts !?!??

I've got it booked in at the dealer I got it from who is going to plug the thing in and see what comes up. I just wondered if it was a common fault thats easily cured.
Its to much of a nice car to have it not starting....a bit "Head down and hope no-one's looking !!"

Thanks for the info !!

Brian

Old 02-24-2008, 01:43 AM

Hello All, first post here looks like a great site.

I've got a similar problem with my 2002 ml270cdi.

things full of fuel, full power battery, turns over fine but just won't fire. this has happend 3 times now, first time the MB garage said it had run out of fuel, but gauge was faulty (apparently a known issue...) they replaced gauge and then it happened again.....back to the garage to be bled and started fine.

Firstly, I thought all the recent MB diesels were self bleeding...if they are why do you think it won't start even if theres fuel in it?

secondly I will take to garage to be fixed but would prefer to be able to self-rescue....any advice on how to go about it on Ml270?

Thanks all for your help

regards
Paul
ps Brian - what was diagnosis for yours?

Old 06-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Default same problem

now we are three, I am facing the same problem with my ml 270 2001. When pluged to star diagnose it shows nothing. Does anybody think that it could be a loose fuel line to injector or pump?

Old 11-23-2013, 12:39 PM

My Mercedes is doing the same will not start if I leave it overnight after using it have to bleed it on top of injectors and she will start after a while been told could be rubber seals are perished but don't no where to look

Old 12-22-2013, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Oakley2@blueyonder.co.uk
My Mercedes is doing the same will not start if I leave it overnight after using it have to bleed it on top of injectors and she will start after a while been told could be rubber seals are perished but don't no where to look
Seems like its been a problem over a number of years but we still do not have a solution my ML 270 CDi has just started to suffer nearly every morning especially after a day or two standing but battery (luckily) is still OK. It just will not fire up despite cranking. It often starts OK but dies immediately as if the fuel has suddenly run out but it has not and there are no visible leaks. Anyone have a solution please?

Old 11-24-2015, 01:05 AM

My 2005 ML270 CDI started, run for a couple of seconds then died. so far traced no fuel reaching injectors, found perished o-rings on low side hose, new rings should arrive today, battery on charge for air bleed session, hope this all works

Old 11-20-2018, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by bubba.t
My 2005 ML270 CDI started, run for a couple of seconds then died. so far traced no fuel reaching injectors, found perished o-rings on low side hose, new rings should arrive today, battery on charge for air bleed session, hope this all works
Did fixing the o-rings fix the problem? Im having the same problem with my ML270. Cheers Mick