General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Mercedes Mouse

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 11:51 PM
Default Mercedes Mouse

[/b]</font><font size="3">I opened up the trunk of our 96 SL600 the other day and there were mouse droppings everywhere, (in the trunk, on floor mats in front, in storage compartment behind passenger seat. I even found a mouse nest beside the cd player in the trunk. I have had much older cars, that were much less expensive, and have never had a mouse problem. Does anyone know how a mouse could possibly be getting into this car???</font>[/b]

Old 01-08-2004, 03:06 AM
Default Mercedes Mouse

I'm assuming the droppings aren't new. It was in storage somewhere in mouse country. Mice and other critterswon't move in if the car is moved even ocassionally. They've moved out by now if you drive it, but there may other remains remaining.You need to look the car over very closely. Anywhere there is an opening should be viewed, poked, prodded, etc. Especially look in the air intake opening(s) and up into the exhaust pipe(s). Take everything apart up to the air filters and remove anything not belonging there. Go even further if the air filter has a hole in it. Poke a wire or stick or something up the exhaust pipe to see if you can drag anything out. If something comes out (pieces of nest, fur, anything), spend extra time here. You don't want some old mouse poop or dead mouse lighting on fire or stinkin' up the car. I'm not sure where to take it if you don't want to do this yourself.</P>

If you store or park the car for long periods, close all the opening. Stuff rags into all opening and check the rags ocassionally to make sure they haven't been chewed through.</P>

Old 01-08-2004, 10:18 AM
Default Mercedes Mouse

Lugnut, thankyou for your response! Well, the droppings are new because I vacuumed them out yesterday and put a trap in the trunk and caught two mice one yesterday and one today. So, how do you think their actually getting inside the car? There shouldn't be any openings from the exterior to the inside cabin. Don't you think?

Old 01-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Default Mercedes Mouse

That's very strange. Sounds like you need a cat ...or a new parking space. </P>

Think about wherethe car regularly spends a lot of time parked during the week.Not just at home, but also at work and play.Change the places you usuallypark when you're there. </P>

There is no such thing as an airtight car. Mice can get just about anywhere. They can almost go anywhere that light and air can go. They'll chewan opening if possible. They are persistent (simple-minded)and have sharp teeth. </P>

Do you keep any food in the car? Do you use a sweet-smellingair freshener in the car? No offense, please, but do you wear a sweet-smelling scent thatlingers behind in the car?Is there a flashing neon sign on the side of the car that says "Mouse Motel. Reasonable Rates?" There has to be a reason they pick your car over the others. Or, do they? Do you know if others close byare being invaded as well?</P>

You're right to use traps. Don't use poisons if you can avoid it. Stick with the traps. You don't want them dying where you can't get to them forremoval.</P>