General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Mercedes C220 CDI Esprit cold start

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Default Mercedes C220 CDI Esprit cold start

hi everybody I have a mercedes model c220 cdi 2000.I have problem with cold engine start, it takes a fewattempts before engine starts.The glow plug indicator light comes on and goes out as normal. There is no problem with warm engine start.
What kind of problem it is?
Thanks

Old 12-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Default RE: Mercedes C220 CDI Esprit cold start

Cranks but won't start? or
won't crank unless you turn switch on/off several times.

Vehicle history up to date? i.e. Filter changes inc fuel filter.
Mileage?

Excess water in the fuel separator?
Determine if any DTC codes have been set. You will require a scanner for this. Maybe there is a glow plug out / bad.

Stuart

Old 12-08-2008, 11:19 PM

Hi,

The engine cranks,but sometimes it need to crank a few times before it starts.The car is fully serviced, mileage is 118000.
What is DTC codes?

Vidas

Old 12-08-2008, 11:58 PM

DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Codes.
These codes have to be accessed by a scanner. A device which plugs into the vehicle ECU Electronic Control Unit.

Stuart.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:07 PM

My car have the same issue, 98 C280 about 111000 miles. But my will not crank at first few attempts, as long as it cranks it will up right away. Any idea of this? thanks.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Default Mercedes C220 CDI Esprit fuel system

Hi all,

I wrote about my Mercedes C220 CDI '00 problems earlier here.
I have still same problem, cold engine start.
This time my left at my work for two nights already as I can not start it.
I think the problem is not glow plugs as even one plug is bad the car anyway should start in a some time. The engine is tuning but no signs of starting. I suspect that there is problem with fuel system, can I have yours opinion about it?
I think it can be faulty fuel preesure regulator. I would like to know where it is located and how I could test it and change it? I would like to know where is located fuel filters as I know it should be 2 of them?
Can I tow automatic Mercedes?
Thanks

*Moderator edit: Merged threads.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 02-11-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Lightbulb c220 cold start

Hi
I also have the same problem, mine has recently been serviced and also have had new glow plug installed. the problem has only come light when the tempreture drops below zero hence the new glow plug fitted! but still with the same problem during this cold snap,battery does not seem to be the problem turns over fine without any struggle at all but when i popped the hood i heard a sucking noise and suspected air being drawn in somewhere, at a rough guess rubber hoses expand with the heat and shrink with the cold could it be old rubber hoses, dont laugh but put the battery on charge put an hair dryer under the bonnet in 0 tempreture for an hour replaced the battery and hey presto fired up straight away. it has not resolved the problem but i have saved the tow fee to the garage and i think i might be on the right track air getting in to the fuel system some how

I wrote about my Mercedes C220 CDI '00 problems earlier here.
I have still same problem, cold engine start.
This time my left at my work for two nights already as I can not start it.
I think the problem is not glow plugs as even one plug is bad the car anyway should start in a some time. The engine is tuning but no signs of starting. I suspect that there is problem with fuel system, can I have yours opinion about it?
I think it can be faulty fuel preesure regulator. I would like to know where it is located and how I could test it and change it? I would like to know where is located fuel filters as I know it should be 2 of them?
Can I tow automatic Mercedes?
Thanks

*Moderator edit: Merged threads.[/quote]

Old 12-20-2009, 10:40 AM

Hi
I also have the same problem, mine has recently been serviced and also have had new glow plug installed. the problem has only come light when the tempreture drops below zero hence the new glow plug fitted! but still with the same problem during this cold snap,battery does not seem to be the problem turns over fine without any struggle at all but when i popped the hood i heard a sucking noise and suspected air being drawn in somewhere, at a rough guess rubber hoses expand with the heat and shrink with the cold could it be old rubber hoses, dont laugh but put the battery on charge put an hair dryer under the bonnet in 0 tempreture for an hour replaced the battery and hey presto fired up straight away. it has not resolved the problem but i have saved the tow fee to the garage and i think i might be on the right track air getting in to the fuel system some how