General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Mercedes 300SE wont run when moter is warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Default Mercedes 300SE wont run when moter is warmed up

hello all I'm having some trouble with a 1988 300SE

I have changed the coil plugs and wires and it runs when the motor is cold but when it warms to operating temp I can not restart the car it just turns over and when its about to start this stops turning over for a second and then continues.

Have any of you had this problem? Or any Ideas on what may be making it have this problem?

Any help would be great thanks

Old 01-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Default 300se 1988 won't run when warmed up.

Hi

I had this same problem with several of the older benz with the CIS fuel injection systems. The source of the problem was the cold start injector not cuting off after warm up. Have the temperature sensor & relaychecked . When you try to restart you may notice a strong smell of gas, Which will confirm excess gas being injected flooding the cylinders. Try this procedure. After warming up the engine to normal operating temp. Shut off engine and disconnect the harness from the cold start injector ( RH -Passengers side)top of engine just under the air filter. ) Now try to restart. If it starts and runs this is souce of the problem ( not the injector but the controling devices - relay , temperature sensor. I sorry I cannot piont you to the exact source of the problem . I am here in a third world country with limited access to resources & info. My temporary solution to resolve this until I found the parts was I installed a switch in the wire harness for the cold start injector mounted it under the dash and once the engine started I would switch off the injector after a minute or so depending on the outside temperature. ( you need to turn it on when engine is cold such as over night or after several hours on a cool day)

Hopes this helps. Let me know.

Mcm

Last edited by mcm534; 01-20-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Default 300 se 1988 hard starting when warm

[QUOTE=mcm534;145994]Hi

I had this same problem with several of the older benz with the CIS fuel injection systems. The source of the problem was the cold start injector not cuting off after warm up. Have the temperature sensor & relaychecked . When you try to restart you may notice a strong smell of gas, Which will confirm excess gas being injected flooding the cylinders. Try this procedure. After warming up the engine to normal operating temp. Shut off engine and disconnect the harness from the cold start injector ( RH -Passengers side)top of engine just under the air filter. ) Now try to restart. If it starts and runs this is souce of the problem ( not the injector but the controling devices - relay , temperature sensor. I sorry I cannot piont you to the exact source of the problem . I am here in a third world country with limited access to resources & info. My temporary solution to resolve this until I found the parts was I installed a switch in the wire harness for the cold start injector mounted it under the dash and once the engine started I would switch off the injector after a minute or so depending on the outside temperature. ( you need to turn it on when engine is cold such as over night or after several hours on a cool day)

Hopes this helps. Let me know.