General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Lugnut's Big (Brake) Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Default Lugnut's Big (Brake) Adventure

I have new rotors and pads all the way around, but what a major butt pain it was getting there.

My SL takes different right and left front rotors. I was told by someone here that it's because of differing hole patterns. Not true. The only difference is the cooling ribs between the platters. They tilt in opposite directions so that when the rotors are mounted, they tilt in the same direction.

The right/left thing led to confusion on ordering the rear rotors. I ordered just one rear rotor when I wanted two. The parts house asked me through e-mail if I really wanted two rear rotors. I said yes and they said they'd ship the two fronts and then the two rears when the second one was ready to ship.

When the first shipment came, I finished the left front replacement and then discovered the rotor for the right side didn't fit. Luckily, I live relatively close (about 40 miles) to the parts house. I called and wanted to swap for the correct right front rotor. I took the "wrong" rotor in and swapped. I got back home and finished the right front.

Meanwhile, the second shipment arrived. I removed the right rear pads and rotor from the car. I opened the box and found a front rotor. I opened the other box and there's another front rotor. Man! I called to arrange another swap and found out they sent me a front and rear rotor in the first shipment. Why? I dunno. Anyway, back to the parts house and do the swap. Finally got both sides in the rear done.

It takes five pad wear sensors to do my SL. One in each pad up front (four) and one in just one pad in the right rear. They are only sold in packs of four (where I bought them). Someone needs to take a math class.

I started on Saturday morning and finished on Tuesday afternoon. It should only take a couple of hours if you're taking your time... if you have the right parts. Everything worked out in the end.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Lugnut's Big (Brake) Adventure

If you are like me, you like working on your stuff either to save money, learn something or just don't trust others to touch your ****.

Did you save money over a professional installation? How much? Was it worth "the adventure"?

Old 01-11-2006, 12:41 AM

I'm not working right now so I had the time. It was something to do to keep me occupied. Parts came to close to $400. I think one of the Bozo-Brake places would do it for maybe a few pennies less for parts and labor. I didn't save much, if anything. MB dealer would charge much more.

I got Zimmerman rotors, PBR ceramic pads, and some no-name pad wear sensors. Pretty much OEM-style stuff, but the SL600 uses some hefty brake parts so I decided not to spend extra on upgraded performance parts. A nice Brembo hi-po kit would have made a noticeable difference, but not as dramatic as if I had a C-class and changed to Brembos. I'm not sure it would have been worth $3K-$4K to me.

Looking back, it was fun. Wore out my back, though. Now I need to lay around for a couple of days and drink beer. Boy, that'll be tough.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

How long did your previous brake job last? Were your rotors worn?

Old 01-11-2006, 03:25 AM

This was the first time I did brakes on this car. The front pads were ready to crumble apart. The rear pads were good. All four rotors were deeply worn and better suited for use as door stops. I waited too long to do it, but they were working okay and the dummy dash light for worn pads just started flickering about two weeks ago--at which point I started ordering parts.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:51 AM

This learning point is not unique to the SL.

Rotor vanes need to be handed to maximise cooling. In fact many performance tyres are now also handed and fitted to unique positions on the vehicle.
Sensors are sold in 4 (axle set) presumably since it is unusual to change front and rear rotors at the same time. My rear rotors and pads are good at >100k so presumably this is why there is only one sensor on the rear. Rear sensor position is handed left to right hand drive. Seems a bit penny pinching however on cars of this class but in one sense somebody has thought about the system and delivered required performance at minimum cost.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Seems sad that ALL the brake parts are toast when you wait for the indicator light. I guess more frequent inspections are in order.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:49 PM

If you wait for the light, you need to move quickly as soon as it starts to flicker.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:58 PM

Sensors are sold in 4 (axle set) presumably since it is unusual to change front and rear rotors at the same time.
I'm not sure what your point is. I'm sure you meant pads and not rotors. Or, you meant rotors AND pads.

If I change all front and rear pads, I buy two packs of sensors and I waste three. If I change only the rear pads, I buy one pack of sensors and I waste three. It only makes sense if I change only the front pads.

They need to sell a pack of four and a pack of one.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

That is like going to the hardware store and finding packets of nuts containing three and packets of bolts containing two. It's like they expect you to lose one or something. Retailing can be devious and cruel.

Quick Reply: Lugnut's Big (Brake) Adventure