General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Lights ON

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Default Lights ON

Hi everyone,

I have an interesting problem. The courtesy interior lights on the doors of my 96 E320 stay onwhen the car is on and all doors are closed or if the car is turned offlocked or unlocked. I don't know if this problem can be caused by a failing PSE pump. In addition to the lights staying on 24/7, myremote to lock and unlock the car does not work either. (I've replaced the battery on the remote). Also my interior central locking button does not lock the doors but will unlock them.I am making the assumption that the PSE pump may be bad based on other posts that I have read on this forum.

Anyone that can shed some light on my problem will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Default RE: Lights ON

Hi,

Unplug the white mult ipin plug on the PSE.
Does the light go out.
Is there a deposit on the pins of the PSE/connector.
If so PSE bad 100% certainty.
If not report back. Other things can give similar symptoms but unlikely that Interior light AND sentral locking go out at the same time.
Stuart

Old 12-10-2007, 11:31 PM

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for prompt reply. There are two white multi pin connectors, Right? I just disconnected one of them and the lights turned off. So I guess its pretty safe to assume my PSE is bad. Any ideas as to where I can find one? And also, does it need to be programmed to the car regardless of where it comes from. New or used.

Thanks again.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:09 AM

Hi,
The power for the interior light is actually controlled by the body electrics under the hood (in black box) This unit receives a digital message via the CAN from the PSE.
The PSE receives the signal from the door switches and uses the CAN to signal the power control module.

So yes it appears that your PSE is bad.

I find them on eBay occasionally but you have to be careful to ensure they are in good working order.

No need to code a new PSE although certain options can be programmed. the usual one you may wish to set is the "auto door locking at 4 mph". However this can also be set by using the Towing button on the dash. depress for so many seconds.

DIY 5 min job.

Stuart

Old 12-11-2007, 11:48 AM

Thanks again for your help. You seem to know the vehicles very well and don't hesitate to share your knowledge. I will let you know the outcome once I replace the pump, hopefully sometime this week.... Being that I don't know all the ligo, what does DIY stand for? I've seen that in several postings.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:02 PM

DIY = Do It Yourself (i.e. Home maintainance)

Stuart

Old 12-13-2007, 10:23 AM

Thanks, one last question if I drive the car with the mutipin connector unpluged (Don't want to drain the battery) will that harm the car? I need tp replace the window motor and need to drive the car to the shop.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:08 AM

No problem BUT ALL (or at least MOST) of the functions controlled by the PSE will not work.
Pneumatic door locks, security, bulb warning, rear window etc.
Stuart