General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

issues: proud new owner 1973 220

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Default issues: proud new owner 1973 220

I'm the proud new owner of a 1973220 (gas). The previous owner did alot of tinkering to get the car up and running -- and now it's not bad at all.Anyway,I'm new to the MB crowd...so I'm learning. I could use a little basic advice, and help with a couple of current issues

(1) I have several leaks (as in, when it rains)...the most significant is the driver's side rear door. The door seal was in really bad shape -- I bought a replacement, and I have the old seal off. Question: Do I put the new seal in dry, or do I need toput something on it? (i.e. a thin coat of Vaseline or white lithium grease, etc)

(2) Running temp seems to be good & stable (about 1/8" over the 175 degree mark). However, my car doesn't currently have the auxilliary fan on the front of the radiator -- Is that a "must add"? Also, I've noticed thermostats available in several temp ratings -- Any good experience suggestions for a choice?

(3) No dash lights -- ? -- Fuses all look good. I saw a post that mentioned a common "corroded rheostat" problem. Is that a place to look? And where will I find said rheostat?

(4) The original Becker radio was on FM when I bought the car -- working fine. Then I pushed on of the AM pre-set buttons -- now it's picking up AM fine, but Ican't get back to FM. Help...I can only takeRush Limbaugh in moderate doses...I need a little FM too!

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: issues: proud new owner 1973 220

Wow, congratulations,

It has generally been my experience, and you may hear different opinions, but you can get some partsto work by tinkering, butit will probably require regular tinkering, and you might get tired of doing that.
There is nothing like a new part. A very good dealership in Atlanta told me they keep many parts/accessories in stock for cars as far back as 1956, and can order most anything else. If you really get desperate, Mercedes has a custom/restoration shop in Stutgart that does refurbs and remakes.
1973, ah the good old days. Carburated?

Blue

Old 05-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Default RE: issues: proud new owner 1973 220

Yes...back to the carburetor. We'll see how that goes in the winter. I have already resigned myself to the fact that this car will take constant tinkering. I'm a firefighter, so I can do most of that at the station during down time. I have found several online sites with parts, and a local place (in Muncie, IN) called Adsit -- www.adsitco.com -- that even stocks rebuilt engines and transmission for these cars (as well as other stuff). I've even found several items on eBay.

Got the door seal in with no problem -- I'm still hoping I can get some input on the other issues.