General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

install aftermarket xenon for foglight

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 04:22 AM
Default install aftermarket xenon for foglight

Hi everybody,
Can anybody help me out? Anyone knows how to adjust the voltage limit of electrical fuse for foglights of slk 350??

Old 11-30-2005, 11:54 AM
Default RE: install aftermarket xenon for foglight

IMHO, I don't think you want to fool with the voltage limit of electrical fuse, or perhaps I don't understand what you are saying, do you want to put in a larger fuse?, You posted Xenon lights fo fogligts, Most Xenon kits come with capacitors and such to adjust voltage. I might be wrong but I don't think you want to fool around wtih fuses. My son installed LED bulbs in his Acura, LEDs run at very little energy, some cars need a special capacitor to increase the volts to the leds to the operating 12V, He wired the capacitor, one lineto negative (black) and one to power (white) and the LED'S brightened when turn on, whereas Xenon lights are the opposite and produce a lot of heat, so I'm not sure adjusting the voltage limit to the fuse is going to work, or if it can be done. without buying the kits that come with aftermarket Xenon headlights I would do search try www.performanceproducts.com, they have Xenon headlight aftermarket kits and it explains in some detail the install. Look before you leap.
The thir brake light in my 99 C280 is LED and I opened the holder to see what was in there and mass of diodes and capacitors, I thought I would try LED for stop lights, and wire them thru the third brake light, but then I was remembered the stop lights are tied into the criuse control, so I checked the wiring diagram and they are, but I didn't find a trace circuit from the third brake light back to the cruise. See what I am getting at, you need special electrical parts and change the way the volts are transmitted to Xenon versus Hologen.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:22 AM

Thanks for your reply! The reason I asked is because in newer model mercedes (2000-2006 w203 for C-class) the electronic fuses take control of the signal lights, head lights and foglights and there is no "physical fuse" in fuse box for these lighting.
the electronic fuse computer cut off the power as soon as it detected the "Xenon" lights consumer more power than the original lights "helogen". So the After market xenon will never work unless the the amps limits is changed. (Same as the cases of install aftermarket xenon head light).
My project is the change the both helogen Brabus foglights to Xenon so the there will be 3 pairs of xenon at the front.

1998 C230
1999 E320
2000 C240 sold
2004 E320
2005 slk350

Old 12-01-2005, 01:01 PM

The electronic fuse or transformer is what I was referring to, you need to install the transformer or you will burnt out your wiring harness. Are your headlights Xenon now? and your foglights Helogen? If so, can you tap into the Xenon transformer, or electrical fuse. I am not familiar with Xenon but I do know if you not careful you can have problems. Go to www.osramsylvania.com, they also have a complete article about the there Xenon kits and installation, and seeing that Mercedes uses mostl Sylvania lighting, it might be a good place to start. When you get to the sight click on automotive lighting

Old 07-15-2009, 05:21 AM

Just for reference (little late), The electronic fuse was ending up set by dealer.
Tri xenons project was done.

However, if anyone knows how to adj value of the electronic fuse (2000 & up models) will be very helpful.