General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Need 560sec help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Default Need 560sec help!

Alright for the past few months I've needed to start my car using starter fluid. I was told it was the cold start valve, so I bought one off ebay and not a damn thing has changed. It tries to turn over, but wont without starter fluid. Then once it's running, it will stall out if i take my foot off the gas. Happens while driving too. Anytime I go below about 10mph it will stall out. Meaning at anytime I come up to a stop sign, light or slow traffic it stalls out. I have replaced the spark plugs, fuel filter and cold start valve trying to fix this. Could this be the fuel pump? Relay? So there's 2 problems I'm looking for help on there; starting problem, and stalling problem.

More problems I'm having and am scared about fixing is; I dont believe the car is running on all its cylinders. The car shakes, has lost a lot of power/acceleration. It also revs up high without shifting gears. I'll lay off the gas for a sec just to let it shift over. It would shift by itself after a few seconds, but it'll slam into the next gear. So if anyone could help me with any of these problems, I'd be very VERY grateful.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:04 AM

Come on... anyone?!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:20 AM

I don't know anything about your particular model car, but it sure sounds like you've got a very bad vacuum leak. That would explain both your problems and if your transmission is vacuum modulated, it would explain that too.

Also, don't start the car with ether. Ether can cause very serious engine damage.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:28 PM

change your trans filter...maintence is every 30k mi. also could be upshift delay valve. delay valve is adjustable but if you have high milage replace it. also replace your fuel fiter before playing with the pump. maintence is every 60k on the fuel filter.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Default yep. probably a vacuum leak

I had almost exactly the same problem. It was a vacuum leak. Found it by accident!
There's a metal vacuum hose at the back of the intake manifold, and it was pushing on the throttle linkage. Over time, it developed a stress crack. It would widen during driving and just about close up at idle.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:48 PM

I used to have a 91 SEC USA version, and I did have all kind of issues w/ it. If I were you I would take it to a dealer for diagnostic only, just do not tell them that. and after they determine what is wrong just do not sign for repair. you'll end up paying for 1-2 hr of diagnostic that will save you a lot of $ vs swaping parts. I would also get either new or used w/ warranty parts ..... good luck