General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

injection pump tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Default injection pump tuning

ive got a 1983 300D turbo diesel. can anybody tell me how to adjust the injection timing and pressure on the mechanical injection pump? is it possible to do? somebody, please point me in the right direction..

Old 02-18-2007, 12:22 AM
Default RE: injection pump tuning

anybody?

Old 02-26-2007, 01:14 PM

I have timed Cummins diesels, they have Bosch injection pumps.

Basically diesel timing is theengines TDC in relation to the pumps pistons position. I am not familiar with MB diesels (yet) you need a book or do a search online to get the specifics of your engines timing setting. The injection pumps drive gear must be disengaged so timing can be set, it is an involved process, the geartrains backlash must be put back of the engines running position....however if you are a good mechanic and quite patient you can do it. Check online for timing tools for your model MB.

Diesel timing is VERY touchy, a little more or less lift (pump) makes a big difference. Please do not mess with it until you have all info and tools needed.

On a Cummins a dial indicator is used on the pump to set timing.

Good luck

Michael

Old 02-26-2007, 06:53 PM

ive searched online for over a month for information with no sucuess.. i know how bad mechanical pumps can be so you dont have to worry about me jumping into something i dont know about.. i have no desire to screw myself over. so ill leave that to the professionals. somebody told me there was a bolt i can tighten to crank up the injection pressure.. is this the case, or is it also a involved tedious process?

Old 02-27-2007, 03:00 AM

Why would you want to increase the injections pressure? If you add fuel you need to add air, bigger turbo may be needed. More fuel will raise your EGT's to the danger zone....melted pistons. The injectors are designed to function at optimum with the pressure provided. If you want to gain performance get a set of high performance injectors.

If you want to increase pressure that bad, no reason to, find the overflow valve and get a tighter spring.

You asked about timing now you want to increase pressure...wtf.

All you need is here:
www.baumtools.com/mercedes_catalog_2006.pdf

Michael

Old 02-27-2007, 10:07 AM

I am not sure about adjusting the timing, but you can adjust the mixture at the ADLA. I did so many years ago on a 85 W123. (since sold)

Try This link http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu....php?p=1430404

Also google ADLA.

Just a word of caution, too much fuel = Burnt pistons.

Best Wishes,
Ron Y
2000 E320

Best

Old 02-28-2007, 06:44 PM

stahlkrieger, read my first post. i asked about timing and injection pressure. also, i have an EGT gauge, and im currently running about 300 celcius under load. on the highway, 280. city driving, 250. i dont want to increase pressure badly, it would be nice though..
and gasdude, what exactly is the ADLA?

the reason i want to crank up the pressure is that i can run 20-25psi boost, but i run it at 15, because im not gaining anythign above that. i'd like to get some more fuel in it so i can take advantage of running higher boost. also, to tell you the truth, its slow as chit, so im jus tryin to get it to be a lil more peppy.
i know it aint a hotrod and it never will be, but it would be nice to accelerate a littlefaster in times that you really need it.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:10 PM

Read up on the turbo charged diesel engine.

FIRST comes fueling and boost will follow due to the expansion of exhaust gases in the turbine side of the turbocharger. Check on performance kits for your pump, if you change the "fuel curve" you can get what you want. Also, is the exhaust system non-restrictive?The turbo needs to looseexhaust pressure ASAP. If you are getting more than stock boost certainly egt's will be low as you have not added fuel. The PROPERLY fueled diesel takes care of itself.

When done right you can gain performance AND fuel mileage with a diesel....why? Cause the efficiency increases. Yup, I did it with my motorhome.

So I overlooked a word in your initial post...chill.

Check this thread out: http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...d.php?p=771117

Old 03-02-2007, 12:21 AM

well im sorry if it sounded like i was jumpin on ur case about the 1st post thing. i didnt mean it to sound that way,. i know u jus overlooked it, an ithought nuthn of it. im not new to the whole diesel power theory. its just the mercedes injection i am unfamiliar with.. i have a exhaust dump right behind the front right wheel, so there is zero turbo backpressure. im measuring the egt's from about 2 inches behind the turbo. lets say im running 300 celcius (572 F) on the probe behind the turbo. any idea what im running before it? that thread was very informative, but it didnt say how to adjust the ADLA or even what it is.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:23 PM

I tend to favor pre-turbo probe installation as post turbo is not of much concern, the turbo will cool exhaust gases a bit. Some guys run pre and post....same gauge with a switch.You may be a couple hundred degrees more pre than post turbo....you may consider plugging the post turbo hole and drilling/tapping for pre turbo install.

Does your MB have an intercooler (aftercooler)? They do make a big difference.

So, if you are dumping the exhaust out the wheelwell....GREAT. What size downpipe do you have?

If I were you I would consider a set of high performance injectors. Seems as though everything is taken care of, you have plenty of boost available, little restriction. Have your injectors been pop tested? Spray pattern checked...(you are high mileage).This is a cheap and worthwhile idea. What about a high CFM filter....more boost, you will need it.

I hope I gave a few ideas here. We all tend to not see it all.

Heres some pics you may like: http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...d.php?p=431887 Below the photos is Daves website...check it out!

Michael

Quick Reply: injection pump tuning