General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

I'm losing my mind.... (kinda) =] (CLK430 issue)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by shea2k
Hi all,

I'm hoping -someone- has had this problem before, and more to the point, found a solution.
Well you sure tried a lot of things but I do not see that you changed out the ignition wires, the wires that go to the coil packs. Inside the harness what appears to be the rubber or plastic insulation there are actually more wires with insulation and that insulation can crack which means then an ignition fire that is meant to be sent to cyl 3 for example was also sent to cyl 6 because the electrons sent in the impulse meant for 3 also were sent to 6 due to the now missing insulation. Hence resulting in cyl 6 firing when it should not, a misfire as your cpu is telling you. Replace these wires and give it another go.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Default CLK430 Lose Power

Have you found what the issue is? My Clk430 is an 01 and I loose power sometimes when im taking off and when im around 3k RPMs. What i do know is if I down shift it picks back up in power. I was thinking it was a computer problem like its not shifting right, or the fluid in the tranny needs to be changed...

Old 05-17-2012, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by ABaileyCLK430
Have you found what the issue is? My Clk430 is an 01 and I loose power sometimes when im taking off and when im around 3k RPMs. What i do know is if I down shift it picks back up in power. I was thinking it was a computer problem like its not shifting right, or the fluid in the tranny needs to be changed...
The only reprieve I got was when the plastic clamp that holds the wiring loom into the CPU pack was removed and the wires individually connected one by one. It appeared to be that when the original clamp was used, somehow, it was pushing a few of the pins back and disconnecting them.

The car ran sweet for months afterwards. I had sold the vehicle on and have never heard if the problem arose again, but I did make the buyer fully aware of the history to this particular issue just incase it ever did happen.

Maybe worth checking the CPU connections, but to be honest, your issue sounds a little different to what I experienced.

Hope it helps mate! Best of luck with it!

Old 11-25-2012, 04:41 AM

did anyone solve this problem? have the same problem with a 1989 260 E, misfires at 4000 rpm

Old 02-16-2015, 11:24 AM
Default Cure

Originally Posted by shea2k
Hi all,

I'm hoping -someone- has had this problem before, and more to the point, found a solution.

I've a 2000 CLK430. It had been driving pretty well for the past year, but a couple of months ago, a few things seemed 'off'.

1. Start the car without any trouble, but there is a tappy sound from somewhere in the engine itself (not any of the drive belts from what we can tell)

2. When the engine is at idle, its sweet, but when you rev it to just over 1k rpm, the car has a very distinct 'judder' every time, no matter if the engine is hot or cold.

3. When driving, it is fine, until you drive that little bit harder and approach the 4k rpm, then something very weird happens (no matter what gear you are in)... The car feels as if someone has just hooked a caravan onto it (and a quick look in the rear-view mirror confirms that there is in fact, no caravan! ) there is a drop in power and even though my foot is planted to the ground, there is no more life in the engine for a good 2 seconds or so, and then....WHAM....you get a new lease of power (sometimes, but not always) and it gets up past the 4k rpm mark and continues on up until you change gear again.

I've had the car fully serviced (seemed the fuel filter had possibly -never- been changed) and put in 16 new spark plugs, 16 new HT leads and even changed one injector and one coil pack (as a trip to Mercedes confirmed that Cylinder 6 wasn't operating correctly (misfires aplenty)).

Nothing but nothing has cured the problems stated...

Anyone ever come across this before?

Ps. Can I take this opportunity to say that I know there is a 4000 rpm limit when the car is in Park or Neutral mode etc etc. The issue I'm describing is when you are live, on the road and driving. Not parked! Ta

You've probably already figured out the issue by now, but I've had this exact problem and the sensor for/under the gas pedal had gone bad so the computer wasn't recognizing it needed to give the engine/car power.