General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

i need a good brake pad

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Default i need a good brake pad

I have a 1993 400E of which I am the original owner and plan to drive for a long time. The current brake pads are Metal Masters. Unfortunately they don't keep the wheels as clean as the last ones I had.At this point I seem to be needing to decide between the Red Stuff series 3000 and the Rotex Gold. Can anyone help me decide. Any personal experoiences would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Default RE: i need a good brake pad

In a nutshell, don't buy cheap ones if even they come with a lifetime guarantee, unless you like changing them out a lot more frequently than necesary.I put snow tires on my car so twice a year when I put them on or take them off I always inspect my brake pads. These pads look like they will easily go another 10K miles. I do a fair amount of driving on the highway in stop and go traffic so I think that this is excellant life for these pads.A year ago I put a set of Duralast brake pads that I purchased from Auto Zone on my sister's 2000 Grand Prix. They pads were quite inexpensive and came with a lifetime warranty. I figured how can you go wrong, nobody makes a set of pads that will last forever and the price was about 1/2 of what I had paid for the previous set of EBC green pads that I had put on her car. Well the differance was 40K miles on the EBC green pads and only 10K miles on the Duralast. I was really quite surprised yesterday when I put the snow tires on my sister's car yesterday and found her in need of new brake pads with only 10K miles on them. Nothing is sticking, all pads were worn evenly, the rear pads on her car do wear a bit faster than the front, but 10K miles is just completely unacceptable. The bottom line is use the internet to get good Brake Pads and have them on hand as you approach pad replacement time; don't wait until the last minute and run down to Auto Zone to get the "lifetime warranty" pads like I did last time unless you enjoy doing brake jobs.

[align=left] [/align]