General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

hood latch problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Default hood latch problem

hello,

the latch to lift my hood broke off as i was pulling it one day. as a result i can't put coolent into the car and now it wont start. the car is a '92 300 (or 320) C. What can i do that doesn't involve towing it to a mechanice?

thanks so much!

Old 09-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Default RE: hood latch problem

IVE OPENED THE HOOD BEFORE ON OTHER TYPES OF CARS FROM UNDER THE FRONT END. IF YOU GO THIS ROUTE, BE PREPARED FOR SOME CUTS AND SCRATCHES ON YOUR ARMS/HANDS. REMOVE THE MISC. PANELS THAT WILL ALOOW YOU TO PUT YOUR HAND WAAAAY UP IN THERE AND WITH A SCREWDRIVER, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO "DISENGAGE" THE CABLE THAT RUNS TO THE INSIDE CABIN WHERE YOU RELEASE THE HOOD IN THE FIRST PLACE. THEN, ITS JUST A MATTER OF STICKING THE LOOONG SCREWDRIVER INTO THE "CLASP" AND PUSHING IT OPEN. NOW...YOU'RRE SAYING THAT NOT ADDING COOLANT PREVENTS IT FROM STARTING NOW? DID IT OVERHEAT? DID YOU RUN IT HOT AND BLOW A HEAD GASSKET? YOUD HAVE TO GIVE A BIT MORE INFO, CUZ NOT PUTTING COOLANT WOULD NOT PREVENT IT FROM STARTING. IVE FOUND THAT THERE ARE SEVERAL "MECHANICS" AT YOUR LOCAL 24 HR TOW YARD THAT HAVE TONS OF TOOLS AND INGENUITY THAT CAN OPEN THE HOOD IF YOU DONT FEEL CONFIDENT. LET ME KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AND GOOD LUCK.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:24 PM

thanks for the instant reply.

im not good with cars at all. so i didn't really understand what you said i have to do to open it - the process to go about it. can you explain it a little more so that just about anyone could easily do it? thanks.

there is a leakage with a coolent pipe that has been going on for a while now. but instead of getting it fix i just add the coolent in myself when it is needed.

i'm guessing that the coolent is the reason why the car wont start anymore. hope that helps with the info. thanks again

Old 09-27-2006, 04:55 PM

sorry. there is a handle inside the car by the drivers knee that you pull to release the hood. that cable runs to the hood latch and is held in place by a plastic clip that holds the cable to the metal attachment by the radiator and grill. to get to it, you would have to climb under the car and unbolt the misc. panels that cover the "open" area under the motor. after removing that panel, you can see the motor and radiator and grill, etc from under the car. what i say is that you should get a long flathead screwdriver about 15 inches long and with it, guide it all the way up where the black clasp and plastic clip are holding the cable. you'll understand what im talking about after you get under the car and do this. put the screwdriver under the cable and push it up and out. this will make the cable hang down now and be loose enough to mess with the metal clasp of the hood. just continue playing with it until you can pry it open. is the battery dead? when you put the key in, what does it do? do the dash lights turn on? does it want to crank over or click? is the radio getting poor reception?