General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

HELP security syst. won't turn off!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Default HELP security syst. won't turn off!!

I have a 1987 560 SL. The other day I went out to start it after some very cold and icy/rainy weather. I opened the door and the factory security system went off. The car starts and drives, but the system cycles and the lights blink and I hear a relay clicking behind the glove box. I disconnected the horn and the pig tail behind the little trap door in the glove box. The lights quit blinking, but I can still here the relay cycling every couple minutes. How can I disconnect the system? Or, is there a trick I am missing to turn off the system with the key? I don't have an owner's manual to check.I tried different scenerios with the key and couldn't make a difference. I am selling the car and need to straighten this problem out immediately. Thanks very much foer any suggestions.
Rob

Old 12-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Default RE: HELP security syst. won't turn off!!

While there could be a short or sensor issue in the system causing this problem, often this is caused by unlocking the car using a different lock than was used to lock the car. For example, if you lock the car at the driver's door, then remember to get something from the trunk and unlock the trunk, the alarm will go off. To turnthe alarmoff, you have to unlock the driver's door (in this example).

Bob