General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

HELP! Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Default HELP! Please

hello all,

I have just bought a E320 and have a problem a very big problem there is oil in the water system.

Here are the details.

140,000 miles
diesel
car runs fine
no over heating
no excessive smoke

Tried
flushed water jacket through but on start up oil can be seen in the water. i do not think it's the head gasket as the car would not run correctly if there was that much of a leak. I have also checked that the oil coolant system is not part of the radiator.

Any ideas??????????

Old 09-28-2006, 01:56 AM
Default RE: HELP! Please

usually when you have oil in the water, not to necessarily contradict you - others will correct me, it's becuase the gasket needs replacement. Plus if the gasket has never been changed before, and now with 140k miles...it'd be time.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:20 AM

I would agree with BattleCat, that when you see oil in the water or water in the oil, that there is a headgasket problem. Usually characteristic of blowing white smoke from the exhaust as well. Definitely want to fix that! I had that problem on my '88 Lincoln Continental. At that time it cost me 1400.00 to fix. Who knows with a benz. But...it is, what it is, and you've gotta do, what you gotta do! Let us know how you make out.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:40 AM

There must be passage of fluid from oilk to water somewhere.
It is possible that this could occur at a number of sites such as head (cracked), modine oil cooler (if fitted), but the most likely one is where these fluids pass through the head gasket.
It is quite possible for there to be fluid leak without the main compression sealing being compromised, at least for a period of time.
Stuart

Old 09-28-2006, 10:32 AM

thank you for your input so far.

I have spoken to merc uk and they think that the problem could be the oil filter housing as this is where the oil coiling is done. does anyone know any more on this subject?

Old 09-28-2006, 10:56 AM

Hi,

As I stated it could be the MODINE oil cooler (water cooled oil cooler).

However I would go for the head gasket but it's a 50/50 call and possibly investigation of the modine casting and gasket might require less dismantling (therefore cost) than removing the cylinder head, especially if MB theselves suspect the cooler.

Interesting question.
Why does your MB garage suspect the cooler?
Is the cooler known to give trouble on this model?
If its been OK for 140,000 miles why would it give trouble now?
has it been tampered with in some way? It is not significantly stressed, unlike the head gasket.
regards,

stuart

Old 09-28-2006, 02:25 PM

ORIGINAL: snanceki

Hi,

As I stated it could be the MODINE oil cooler (water cooled oil cooler).

However I would go for the head gasket but it's a 50/50 call and possibly investigation of the modine casting and gasket might require less dismantling (therefore cost) than removing the cylinder head, especially if MB theselves suspect the cooler.

Interesting question.
Why does your MB garage suspect the cooler?
Is the cooler known to give trouble on this model?
If its been OK for 140,000 miles why would it give trouble now?
has it been tampered with in some way? It is not significantly stressed, unlike the head gasket.
regards,

stuart

The car was bought at auction so i do not know the history. i spoke to MB as i have just had my ML serviced by them but they are not dealing with the E320 and are going on the fact that they are in the same mind as me that there would not be the volume of oil in the water in a very short period of time. Also the guy did mention that i the last 6 years the only head gaskett they have done was on a starship enterprise mileage car 200k plus.

I will keep you all updated on the prodject as it unfolds and thanks again for your help.

matt.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:42 AM

things obviously run differently in the UK than in the US

Old 10-10-2006, 02:44 PM

i hate to say i was right but it was not the headgasket but it was the oil cooler thing that someone else mentioned fingers crossed.

thank you all.

matt.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:06 PM

LET ME ADD THAT WHEN I'VE GONE TO THE "DEALER-ONLY" AUCTIONS, I'VE SEEN SOME TACTICS THAT MAKE YOU THINK. WHILE VIEWING THE CAR BEFORE GOING THROUGH THE AUCTION LINE, PEOPLE WALK AROUND WITH A SODA CAN FILLED WITH WATER. (LOOKS LIKE THEY'RE DRINKING A SODA). SOOOO, WHEN THEY ARE "VIEWING" A CAR, THEY WILL TAKE OFF THE OIL CAP AND POUR THE WATER IN THE SODA CAN INTO THE OIL FILLER WHILE RUNNING THE ENGINE. A FEW MINUTES LATER, WHEN YOU CHECK THE OIL DIPSTICK, IT HAS THE MILKY MIXTURE CAUSING YOU TO BELIEVE THAT THE HEAD GASKET IS CRACKED. ASLO, AN EX FRIEND OF MINE WAS ONE OF THOSE BACKYARD MECHANICS. A GUY SHOWS UP FROM THE NEIGHBORHOOD WITH HIS STERLING 825 AND SAYS HIS CAR OVERHEATS, PLEASE HELP. EX FRIEND SAYS TO LEAVE THE CAR AND HE'LL CHECK IT OUT WITHIN THE HOUR. WHEN THE OWNER LEAVES, THE EXFRIEND GRABS THE WATER HOSE AND PUTS WATER INTO THE OIL FILLER WHILE RUNNING THE MOTOR. WHEN THE OWNER COMES BACK, HE'S SHOWN HOW "THE OVERHEATING" CAUSED YOU TO BLOW A HEAD GASKET AND MAYBE CRACK THE HEADS." HE CAN FIX THE PROBLEM AT A COSTS OF $1200. THE OWNER RELUCTANTLY AGREES AND HIS CAR SITS FOR ABOUT 5-7 DAYS WHEN MY EXFRIEND CHANGES THE OIL 3 TIMES TO GET THE WATER OUT. PRESTO. CHANGED HEADS. SIMILIAR PRACTICES ARE DONE AT YOUR LOCAL PEPBOYS WHERE I WAS OFFERRED A JOB. WHEN THE MANAGER OF THE SERVICE DEPT. MENTIONED THE FIGURES I NEED TO BRING IN TO SUPPORT MY PAY AND HOW TO GO ABOUT DOING IT...I DECLINED. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU GUYS OUT.

Quick Reply: HELP! Please