General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Help! My intermittent start failures

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 06:42 AM
Default RE: Help! My intermittent start failures

Hey Sleepwalker,

Thank you for the feedback! Many congratulations on being re-head hunted by both dealers.

Now the IFZ control module is being manufactured as we speak and tentatively arriving here on 30th September 2004.

Dealer said that they would not bill me any labour charges as they are very sure that this control module replacement will end my worries.

Anyway, really appreciate your efforts and commitment to assist us in solving our problems, especially to an amateur like myself.

Thanks. Have a nice day!

Old 09-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

tell us the result Lai.

Old 09-30-2004, 11:13 AM

OK
I have less than 12 hours before my car is sent to the dealer.

Just wondering sleepwalker, if by any chance you can reply my message within 8 hours time;

As you know they are going to replace the IFZ control module, do you think it is advisable to synchronize all of my existing keys or it does not make a difference at all?

They claimed that the IFZ control module is the culprit, I would hope this replacement will end all the woes I had been facing.

Hope you can reply my query ASAP!

If not, wish me luck!

Old 09-30-2004, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

everytime i sip my coffee, i have this addictive habit of peeping on this forum. it's thrice a day.

make sure you bring all your key for they will test them and synchronize too. they what's best to do... fearing they will lose their face

everything will be okay, let's hope for the best.

Old 10-01-2004, 08:44 AM

Hey sleepwalker, below are the results before the installation of the new IFZ control module

[IMG]local://upfiles/3076/C53548006EE5482C801D7FC64C4165A3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3076/72105F3CFE7541238010CF1A0108B725.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-01-2004, 08:50 AM

Now these are the results after the installation of the new IFZ control module.

Problem is............ it is still happening again!!!!! Right after i started the car at the dealer, they are now puzzled and i have to leave the car overnight again. Only this time, when the red and green lights flashes alternately, it took a longer time for the car to recover from the failure to start! They say that this time, they can really zero in on the problem as the failure to start process can give them a longer time to trace the srouce of the cause!

What could be the cause ??

[IMG]local://upfiles/3076/EBB6F570750D4B7ABDDDF80AF12AD2DF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3076/7FE2E8D8786A4938954FADF021CB21E5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-02-2004, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

[/quote]
okay,let's narrow the problem and make it more simple. study the attachment and you will notice that only very few parts are involved, including the signal.

by the moment you open the door using IFZ, the A26/7 immediately recognize it...agree? ok, NO PROBLEM WITH THE A26/7.

and after that, the door unlocks and the flashing on the mirror indicator is normal? NO PROBLEM WITH THE N54 AND A37!

now, your mind is telling you that there must be a problem with CAN or the wiring from ECM to the starter! YOU ARE RIGHT!
seems we are almost near this analysis before.

the only thing remaining is the starter lock-out relay module or the ECM itself!

give them the chance to explore the problem first. i just can't wait to know the result.

i still wish i am there to do it.... but all we can do for the meantime is to wait.

cheers.

Old 10-02-2004, 08:41 AM

Thank you for your reply Sleepwalker,

Yeah, they have been trying and testing to make the failure to start happen this morning but it instead the problem did not occur at all so therefore i left it there overnight again for them to "catch it", in the meantime they gave me a courtesy car to drive for the weekend.

By the way what's an ECM again?

Old 10-02-2004, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

engine control module.

they call it many different names... but the same thing.

ECM, ECU, HFM, etc.

i read your earlier post on another forum (BW), and the topic was mostly on alternator. seems that guy got lost and just assuming at the end. the only other post he had was about gay topics.

anyway, are you M or F? just curious coz of your username.

Old 10-02-2004, 02:13 PM

1. In regards to the ECM, the technician said that the software and the ECM itself has no problems at all. If it does have problems, the would not be able to be driven properly. Do you agree?

2. I forgot to mention that this morning when i was in the dealer, the technician did a simulation of winding down the driver side window, locking the car by the infrared rear mirror and tried to start the engine; VOILA, the scenario (Red and green lights flashing alternately and cranking only) occured right in front our eyes. He explained that this only occurs when a door is locked and you tried to start the engine. Does this makes sense to you?

3. Where is starter lock-out relay module located? If there is a fault in this part, would it appear on the diagnosis screen?

By the way, I am a male and I am sure I did not post any gay topics!! haha!

Quick Reply: Help! My intermittent start failures