General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

...HELP....HEATER CORE REPLACEMENT!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ...HELP....HEATER CORE REPLACEMENT!

yep, it's a leak alright.

does it got a sweet / sour smell whenever you open the heater?

if you got a tub of water, you may submerge the thing to it, plug the other two holes and put air pressure inside.

if it bubbles from that area, then it is confirmed.

that's a big mess you made with the car.

i'm expecting you to have an extra handfull of nuts and screws after everything was done

anyway, you can easily make it. removing is more difficult than re-installing.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:47 AM

HAHAHAHA! Yeah, I'm expecting to have a ton of screws left over! I've mistakenly cracked several small tabs in the process to! But I think I can live with it...especially after this nightmare! hahaha...all I know is that I was saying a lot of "...oooops....whoops....jeeeEEEZ!", all night...and I've been working on it since before the 10th of February! I dont think I'll remember where 100% of all of the screws go...I was expecting something more around the 70% range...hahahaha!

I wont disappoint you! You will get update pics! hahaha...if you see a man on CNN surrounded the local SWAT, throwing Mercedes HVAC parts down the street, that would be me....

Old 02-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

at least 92% you'll be able to put the right screw in place. you work on motorbikes and that counts.

screws for metal clips and plastics are different.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:17 AM

..okay, the heater core is now replaced! I only have a few bolts remaining in my hand. I have more screws remaining than I do bolts. About 4 nuts leftover and 5 washers...lord knows where they go. I guess I'll find out when I hit the freeway...hahahaha! But seriously, it was a pretty horrifying experience. I dont think I'll ever do that again. Taking it apart took 10 days of working about 2 to 3 hrs/night. Putting it back together has taken me about 5 to 7 hours so far...I'm about 85% done. I think tomorrow will be the last day - if I can get the window switches put back into the correct window adapter! Before I do that, I need to get the ignition to work again...so I can at least test it.

For all of you out there that are thinking of replacing a heater core on your own, take it to Mercedes. Save yourself the trouble! I think the $2200 is worth it to NOT have all of this stuff all over the place - even with trying to organize it in baggies and labels. I could've afforded payments on the repair, actually. Maybe it would've taken me two months to pay for it, but it's worth it.

...oh, I have to replace my windshield now...long story on that on, but it's the heater core's fault! The central unit wouldn't go in, so I got the bright idea to use my FOOT to help push it into place...well, when my foot slipped, my work boot kinda hit the windshield DEAD CENTER! Spider cracks shot in every direction before I could even blink.

I wasn't even upset, tho...wierd. It's like I knew it would happen...or I at least felt something BAD would happen. Replacing the windshield WILL be done at the dealership because I'm done opening up GIANT cans of worms on this car. Sell it? Nope...I think I'm going to use it til it explodes and then part out whatever's left...honestly. I didnt do a great job on this, so I wouldnt feel 100% secure in my own mind letting someone else take it off my hands. All I know is that the antifreeze leak is fixed! Several plastic pieces are cracked or broken. Tabs are warped. Bolts and screws are left over. And my car will be back on the road like this...

...it's my fault for trying to be a Mercedes tech. But I'm not even upset...wierd. It's like I feel that I deserve this car now...NOW, it's my custom 1995 S420...not too many on the road like it now! Actually, not ONE on the road like it now! hahahaha...

Good luck with all your future repairs, folks...I'm hanging up my repair jersey...retiring it...not bringing it outta retirement like Jordan, either...nope...I'm done...

....well, at least until I get an American built car...hahahaha!

Old 03-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

take it to Mercedes. Save yourself the trouble! I think the $2200 is worth it to NOT have all of this stuff all over the place
am willing and happy to do it for $300. no sweat.

i have sent you pm.

you did it for 8 hours which not bad for first timer.