General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Help! Can't open trunk!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 09:34 PM
Default Help! Can't open trunk!

I purchased a 1999 CLK 320 Cabriolet last October. I put it into storage for the winter. I sent my husband out every so often to start it, but obviously not often enough. The battery is completely dead. No problem, we'll get a new battery. Big problem, we can not get the trunk open. The key turns but the latch does not release. We've been staring at the trunk off and on for about 24 hrs. now. Is there a trick that we're missing? My husband would greatly appreciate any help. You see, my husband hooked all of his cars up to chargers over the winter but didn't seem to think my car would need one. Now it's finally spring in Ohio and I can't drive my convertible. So please take pity on him and answer quickly.
Thank you!

Old 04-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Default RE: Help! Can't open trunk!

Just starting a car every so often through a winter will kill the battery for sure. It'll also cause corrosives to build up in the oil and moisture to collect in the fuel lines. It's better just to let it sit unless you can actually drive the car at least ten ot twenty miles until it warms up to normal operating temps.

Are you using the key or the remote on the trunk? Regardless, with a dead battery the trunk probably won't act properly. I'd look in the owner's manual for a manual release for the trunk.

Old 04-07-2005, 01:35 PM

Try giving the trunk lid a couple of good bumps with one hand while the key is turned with the other hand. be sure the lid is not stuck to the rubber weatherstrip (i.e. try pulling up on the trunk lid while turning the key).
Hope this helps

Old 04-09-2005, 07:09 AM

On regular CLK models trunk can be accessed thru the back seats....not sure on cabriolet....also, before it was stored, was the car bumped from behind in traffic, etc because if the rear bumper is slightly pushed in it will interfere with the trunk release mechanism...
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-10-2005, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

you don't just turn the key but turn and push at the same time. it should open easily.

Old 04-10-2005, 05:16 AM

Randy and Sleepwalker are correct.

Turn the key then press it in like a button. When pressing in, lightly lift up on the trunk lid as the rubber seal may be holding it down a bit.

Cheers,