General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

fuel pumb broken off

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005 | 10:38 PM
Default fuel pumb broken off

Can someone help. My belt broke and I drove straightm no turns, 4 minutes and turned into an auto repair. I lifted the hood, the belt was fraied on one side but was still in tack, I felt around to see what else might have happened, everything looked normal. After giving the mech. the key, my car was pulled into the pay. Then the mechanic said you have a lot more wrong than just a broken belt. He said the power steering pump was broken, I said no way, he said yes and all the gears in it are broken. I said so me. the pump itself was fine, but underneath where it is attached (solid metal) there was a clean break. The belt had been taken off. The mech. said the bolts that hold the pump in place were loose, I felt underneath and the bolts felt tight to me. I am a woman so I am probably not describing this right, but this seems strange to me, can anyone tell me what would make this happen? How do I fix it?

Old 08-23-2005 | 12:05 AM
Default RE: fuel pumb broken off

How old is your car and what model is it please.

Old 08-23-2005 | 12:07 AM

Iv seen a lot of times where half the belt is fraied and the other half is still in tack. Belts are a wear and tear item. They crack and go bad over time. Usually when power steering pumps go bad they leak. I would have it taken to a dealership. Sounds like they are selling you something you dont need.

Old 08-23-2005 | 12:20 AM

When you say the belt broke what kind of noise did it make ?

Did the lights on the dash light up ?

Because if it's frayed on one side and yet still intact, then it didn't break. Maybe something else broke and caused the belt to fray ?

Just a guess though...

Post your year and model and we may be able to help further.