General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Falling quality of MB and Class Difference

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Default Falling quality of MB and Class Difference

OK, this might be a controversial topic, but I'll ask anyway...

When I was looking to buy a MB, I was told (by my friends) not to buy the cheaper/lower class, because it's build quality wasn't really good in the last years. So then I started looking but ran into a problem, that MB doesn't really have a definite classification on their models (like BMW, for example). For example, there is C class. Then do all of the cars, that use a C as the first letter, fall under the C class? That can't be, because the price range is extreme from Cs to CLs.

Then I looked at the E class... which is the next class from C... and wasn't really impressed. Then I finally looked at CLK and liked it. A lot of people would say that it's a C class, but others would say it's not. The dealer gave me his opinion, which is: "The lower class ones MBs come stock with Vinyl, and have Leather as an option, while CLK comes with Leather as a standard feature, so it must be a higher class".

So, I'm opening this topic up for discussion. And I guess other people, owners of other classes can also contribute on the difference of S, SL, SLK, for example...

Old 01-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Falling quality of MB and Class Difference

You may be right about some of this. I think using the "class" as a status within MB cars makes little since. I drive an SLK. You could by one for $41-$65K. Quite a range. Chrysler 300's range from 23K to over $53k! Same for wheels, Same chassis, more of what makes it a 300? Two 300's? The next package will be an Imperial with even more Bling, for what? $60k +.

I think you did what I would do. I would define what I want in a car, and buy the package that serves my needs. It's your money, enjoy how you spend it. Most people think I am driving a $60k car. Who really cares?

As for quality. I think all the MB/Daimler cars meet very closley on quality. A manufacturer knows we "step up" only if our experiences are satisfactory on lessor models.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:38 AM

Hello:

If you look on the MB website the various models/classes are broken down on a grid.

I don't think that the 'S' in the SLK includes it in the 'S' class. The SLK and CLK appear to be totally seperate product lines from the standard C and S classes.

Splotto

Old 01-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

At one point it was very simple to distinguish the classes and what's what. At the bottom it was the 190E, then the 300E, then the SL over lapping into the S-Class, and each with it's respective coupes and diesels such as the CE, SEC, SDL, the 300D class or the rarely mentioned 190D. Note: New the 560SL went for a little less than a new 560SEL. Now a perfect condition 560SL usually fetch a higher price than a perfect condition 560SEL. Use to be any Mercedes that had S in it whether it's SEL, SEC or S-class or SL it meant it was basically top

Now it's a little more complicated with overlaps depending on options.

I think what it seems is two different scales one for sedans, the other for coupes.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:36 PM

As for quality. I think all the MB/Daimler cars meet very closley on quality. A manufacturer knows we "step up" only if our experiences are satisfactory on lessor models.
That's my impression as well. I've heard people describe the C-Klasse as the "K-Mart" Mercedes, but that's not been my experience.
My '99 C280 has materials, build quality and driving dynamics that are generally better than Asian or American cars in its price range.
It is true, as we all know, that MB has quality issuses from 2001-2004, and the C-Klasse was central. But by 2005-2oo6, JD Power and assoc. indicate that MB is returning to their traditional standards for quality.