General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

factory lugs...HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 12:47 AM
Default factory lugs...HELP!!

ok, so I conformed to the expectations of people my age and bought some 18" chrome rims for Benzino. Its a 89 300e. i used the factory lugs and everything seemed to go swimmingly with the installation. However, i put it in drive and the car did not begin to creep forward. then i gave her some gas and it barely went forward but made a horrible creeking sound. I took one of the back rims off and the lugs were hot to the touch especially right below the head right after the thread ends where there is just kind of a bare spot. I assume i need new lugs where the thread goes all the way to the head of the bolt? can anyone help me troubleshoot/tell me where to buy something that works? (stock wheels are 15" for this model but the wheels with the tires seemed to fit the wells/offset clearance ok)

Old 07-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Default RE: factory lugs...HELP!!

Insert one of the original lug bolts in the original wheel and measure (measure mm) the length of the bolt that is showing on the inside the wheel. The part of the bolt that screws into the hub.
The lug bolts should be the same length showing inside the new wheel. If it is longer, it likely is rubbing on something inside and could damage a wheel cylinder.
You can also run into a problem af the taper on the original lug bolt being a different degree than the taper inside the wheel.
The best solution is have lug bolts from the same supplier as the wheels and matched to the wheels. I have had that problem.