General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

E430 fuel filter location ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Default E430 fuel filter location ?

Hi All,
I have a 1999 E430. I would like to change my fuel filter but I do not know where it is ? Can anyone tell me where would that be and how to change it step by step ? I would greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Default RE: E430 fuel filter location ?

I just replaced the fuel filter on my 2000 E430. The filter is located right in front of the drivers side rear wheel. There is a plastic cover with 3 plastic looking bolts that is covering the view. Remove the bolts and the pan will come off and you will see the fuel filter and a fuel pump looking device. I purchased my fuel filter from autozone special order. While I was there I also bought four clamps so that I can clamp the lines back into place. If your fuel filter has not been replaced then you probably still have the stock clamps on the lines. I used a flathead screwdriver to pop them open and then pry them off. The fuel filter and fuel pump are held together in the undercarriage of the car by an aluminum plate. The plate hold the filter tightly with a bolt and then the plate is suspended on the undercarriage by large plastic grommets. You can remove the grommets from their place holders and then the filter will be loosened and you will be able to work better under the car. When you remove the fuel lines please beware that the fuel system is under pressure and if you do not de pressurize it you will have a large amount of fuel spilling over. I did not depressurize my system and when I disconnected the hoses I had quite a mess on my hands but I quickly inserted the new fuel filter in place and bolted everything back together. Hope this helps.

Old 04-17-2006, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the great info ! I was able to locate the fuel filter. It seems pretty easy to change. However, I bought a fuel filter from Autozone and the filter was a wrong kind even though Autozone had the right part number on their computer. Fuel filter has 2 line in and 2 line out. The filter I got from Autozone had 1 line in and 1 line out. Dealeship is charging 140 bucks for Bosch filter. I did some research and I found the same Bosch branded filter from www.autopartswarehouse.com. I will let you know how that works.

Thanks again !

Old 04-19-2006, 12:24 PM

Yes I was able to put the filter in correctly. Just like you said, it is under the car, back of the driver side. Removing 3 plastic screws with plastic cover you can clearly see it right by the fuel pump. I was able to get the Bosch filter for 35 bucks. It was a messy job. You definetly don't wanna smoke !

Thanks for the help !

Old 04-24-2006, 05:24 PM

I am glad that you were able to replace it and I did the same mistake with autozone. I got the one line in and one line out but then I went back and had them check the computer again and they special ordered the one that is actually used by mercedes and i think it was between $44 and $60. The replacement is quite a mess but definetely well worth it.