General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Does New SAM module need programming

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Default Does New SAM module need programming

I am replacing the rt front SAM in my 05' S 500 and I was wondering if it needed to be programmed by the dealer to make everything work properly?

Old 01-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Default RE: Does New SAM module need programming

Why are you replacing the SAM?
05 should still be under warranty!
What is the problem that makes you think you need to change the SAM?

Stuart

Old 01-08-2008, 03:38 PM

When i crank the car Iget a do not drive Entry Position error, and entry position does not work.

Cigarette lighterdont work
cruise dont work
CAN COMM IS FAULTY
FAULT IN CAN COMM WITH EIS CONTROL MOD
FAULT IN CAN WITH RF SAM CONTROL MOD
FAULT IN CAN WITH INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
Rear headrests arent working
Traction control not working
Wheel rpm error

Old 01-08-2008, 05:21 PM

yes it does need to be programed. u have to tell it what your car has and make sure the county is whatever country your vehicle is in. take it to the dealer.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:14 AM

OK.
So yes the RH SAM is on the suspect list but the car is relatively new. Why would it fail at this point. Why isn't this covered under warranty?
I suspect a SAM will be expensive!!
Changing parts out is not a cost effective route to resolution UNLESS you are VERY lucky.

I would look for potential problems down the CAN by isolating various CAN components and in particular looking for a CAUSE like water ingress corrosion.

History? Did this occur suddenly out of the blue? Can you associate ANY action that occurred at the same time. i.e. Did you have the car valetted. Heavy rain. New battery etc.

With respect to the Easy Access did this suddenly appear or go thru an intermittent operation stage?

You have a wheel speed error which has knocked the cruise out. This again points to the CAN but I would expect the speedo to be impacted if there is a problem across the CAN?

Which of the "faults" you list are displayed codes and which are physical observations.

If the list is a mix of these two different types then it appears that the actual displayed codes all refer to the CAN which reinforces what I was suggesting.

What happens when you simply disconnect the CAN on the RH SAM, A1 cluster etc especially by doing so at the main CAN connector? The controlled functions won't work but a short across the CAN would be removed. Does it modify the code signature?

You may be bang on with the SAM diagnosis BUT if so WHAT CAUSED THE SAM TO GO DOWN?

Good Luck. Let us know how you get on!

Stuart

Just noticed that you also posted door locking problems.
Has this been corrected?
The PSE which controls security is also attached to the CAN.
I suspect that I am working on only partial information.

Is this a car that you have recently bought privately (hence no warranty) or have you owned it for some time.

Suggest an accurate and detailed case history would be helpful.

Sounds a little like the last owner got rid of this vehicle because of ongoing "****ly" faults that the garage was unable to sort out. If so we need to get more info to resolve.
Since somebody has already been "messing" around its important to understand exactly what the problem is and how we get to where we are. Diagnosis is everything with this type of problem.

For instance. try disconnecting the CAN at the PSE. I guess this will be a multi connector possibly white. What happens now? OK the doors won't lock but does the CAN fault signature change?