General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Display Fault, Visit Workshop

Old 03-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Default Display Fault, Visit Workshop

I have a problem with my UK W203. Its a 2004 (pre facelift) C180k Auto.

Recently in England we have had very strong winds, and my alarm has been going off fairly regularly. Today, my car has displayed an error message ("Display Fault, Visit Workshop"). I have the following symptoms:

The key buttons do not open / lock the car
The indicators (turn signals) do not work
When I press a button on the key, only the left hand side rear number plate light comes on, nothing else happens!
The alarm rocker button has a red flashing light which I haven't noticed before?
The fuel guage is at empty
The "range" option in the menu displays ---
My fuel cap door cannot be opened
The courtesy light does not come on when the door is opened (although it does when the key is pulled out!)
The hazard lights do not work

Despite the above, the car does seem to drive OK (bit not very safely!!). Radio, air con unit etc still seems to be working ok.

)Please note, already posted on Mar's thread, but posted seperately also in the hope of an answer?
Thanks
Carl

Old 03-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Default RE: Display Fault, Visit Workshop

Interesting.

You appear to have a mix of issues some security related other display related. Did all things go wrong at the same time and if so under what conditions? If not what was the sequence of events?

Suggestion. Disconnect the battery for a period and reconnect. This COULD clear the problem but I doubt it. I hope you have your Radio code and that it is the correct one. If not you will have to get that sorted thru the dealer which is also chargeable since disconnection of the battery will also mean you radio will require its security code.

So what next.

Display errors usually indicate issues which are not DIY repairable so my suggestion would be to get the car on SDS Star Diagnostics at your MB dealer in order to access what codes have been set. Your MB dealer can provide you with a report that shows the codes, time of test etc. Dependent upon whether you bought the car from your local dealer and what "Goodwill" you have with them they MAY do this job for free but if not it shouldn't be more than £25 plus of course VAT! In case it is something trivial that can be fixed whilst the computer is connected give them a max amount that you would be prepared to pay for the problem to be fixed there and then. This sort of problem can become VERY expensive with little warning.

Also ask them for their diagnosis (based on the SDS report) and estimated cost of repair. You can come back with the details from their report if you wish to cross check diagnosis and whether costs of repair is too be expected.

I'm sure that mar will also recommend SDS. This is one of those cases where SDS is very powerful.

Winds can easily cause the interior peripheral alarm to trigger. I assume the vehicle is parked outside.
The red light (flashing) on the alarm rocker shows the system is armed.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:22 AM

Hi Snanceki and thanks for the response. The problems all occured at the same time, and i can only put it down to the strong winds. I would like to clarify that the light on the rocker continued to flash whilst I was driving!

Strangely, the problem seems to have disappeared this morning, however the left side number plate light remains on!!

I have read in other forums that it is possibly something to do with the battery, someone with similar faults (+ wipers issue, which I do not have) had a problem with a "SAM" unit at the rear of the car.

Best regards,
Carl

Old 03-22-2008, 04:49 AM

Yep. Could be a similar problem but SAM's are expensive. Could be a PSE Expensive. Could be Instrument cluster Expensive etc.
Need to analyse problem first.
Incorrect voltage causes all sorts of problems both high and low voltage.
However if the car cranks and starts OK this can usually be taken as indicating that the battery is OK.
Try the computer(s) reset procedure. Disconnect battery, wait and reconnect to see if suddenly all is OK.
If so it could be indicative of a bad connection, bad battery (volts dropped below threshold on cranking etc) but before spending money establish what codes (if any) have been set.

Oh and yes while you are at it ensure battery connections are clean and secure.

Get back in touch once you have the code data.

Stuart

Old 03-23-2008, 05:30 AM
Banned

It sounds like the REAR SAM is taking a dump, or has taken a dump....

take care,
-mar-

Old 04-29-2014, 02:22 AM

I have a 2006 E350 4matic. When I put on my engine, on my display it shows battery sign and also written visit workshop