General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Disabled driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 07:02 AM
Default Disabled driver

My brother is coming to South Africa for a long holiday later this year (by the way we have right hand drive cars). As he will be coming several times in the future it seemed very cost effective, rather than hiring a car, to buy a second hand, reliable, vehicle for which parts are readily available if required.

As he has only one arm, the left, he needed a car with power steering and automatic transmission as he can manage the steering with a **** fitted on the wheel.

After looking into the local market the ideal vehicle seemed to be a Mercedes. So I have bought a 1989 230E 124 series.

What I had neglected to take into consideration is that the indicator/lights/windscreen wiper control arm is on the right of the steering wheel.

Can anybody tell me whether it is worth considering moving the control assembly 180 deg around the steering column? (I know it would make the location of the speed cruise control difficult but this can be dispensed with anyway as it doesn’t seem to work too well).

Or could somebody give me any other suggestion to at least put some control for the indicators on the left side of the steering wheel.

Old 06-22-2004, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Disabled driver

you can order a left hand switch also (A124 540 10 45), it's a blinker switch, but the steering cover is another problem. if you will replace it with a new one for left hand drive, you still need to cut out for the ignition switch. so better just cut the hole for the blinker switch or combination switch.
first try rotating that switch for there is only 3 screws holding it. maybe you need to fabricate something. the wiring is not a problem because it's not fixed and got enough allowance.
the cruise control switch is located on the upper part and screwed (1 screw) on the combination switch. they might go together.