General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

CLK, no ignition spark.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default CLK, no ignition spark.

Hi everybody.

My CLK is broken. You can turn the key, the engine will turn over and over but no start. The fuel pump does not come on, there is no spark at the plugs, yet the engine will turn and turn.

At first, it only did this about one percent of the time, but if you tried ten minutes later it would start. Now it does not start at all.
So whatever was failing died completely.

Tests performed already.
Checked "fuel relay" with meter; is fine.
Jumped "fuel pump" at relay; it comes on and pressurizes system.
Checked four mystery relays under hood by diagram, fine.
One I cannot Identify, have not tested.

Of course I always try to figure it out myself before sending it out.
Any ideas.

Blue

Old 05-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: CLK, no ignition spark.

I found this relay in the panel box under the hood.
It doesn't have a diagram, neither does the panel.
I can't find it on the MB cd. Can anyone identify it?

It rattles, as if something was loose inside....

Blue

[IMG]local://upfiles/10968/75419D317E1E49F7A46F4D0FD359FACC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

The part No. reads 002 542 0319

I think it has something to do with the ABS pump, so its probably not the issue, even though it sounds like its broken.

Blue

Old 05-22-2007, 11:51 PM

OK.
So
Car cranks OK. i.e. Not the battery etc.
Fuel pressure in distributor rail. i.e. Fuel pump, relay OK

So what about a spark. No spark = engine won't start.

Is your injector and ignition module wiring harness in good shape?

Possible cause of "no sparks" vs just one cylinder out is a faulty Crank Position Sensor CPS located on the bell housing.
This tells the engine when to fire and are reknown for INITIALLY giving problems when hot beforefailing totally. i.e. Allow to cool down and engine will start until next occurrence.

Of course other issues could interupt supply to the ignition system like the EMS but these don't normally give problems.

CEL (Check Engine Light) illuminated?
Any codes in the OBD memory?

Stuart

Old 05-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

for windshield washer.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Injector & ignition harness in very good shape. I cleaned and inspected it today.

OK, I will try to test the CPS tonight.

NO "check engine" light, and car actually passes basic diagnostic and NO codes recorded in OBD, which was/is confusing to me.

Thank you
Blue

Old 05-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Sleepwalker,

Yes my car broke outside, and I was not able to get it indoors. This puts it in a particularly precarious situation, becauseif left outdoors for anymore than a few days, large night-ratswillchew into the fuelhoses, brake lines, and chew up wires.Thenlarge snakeswill get into the car looking for the rats.Then scorpions, termites and large ants invade the interior. Thenred-berry-eating birds deficate on the paint staining it all the way to the primer.In avery short period of time a car can be rendered. And they particularly like Mercedes too, which I do not understand; perhaps its the leather or other scent. You should have seen the snake I pulled out of the 190 a couple of yearsago. Itcould havebeen a meal forfifteen people. Of course it is taboo to kill such a snake here.

Blue

Old 05-27-2007, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

snanceki,

Thanks for your help. I ordered a new CSP, and somehow got one with a different slot pattern in the electrical plug connection. Anyway, while I was trying to figure out why the wire the connector wouldn't snap-on, I noticed the wire had been rat-chewed open on the under side. Bingo!
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Blue

Old 06-07-2007, 08:11 PM

Dayumm Silver wheredo you live??

Old 06-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Dumokie,

Rat damage has been a major problem in the Caribbean. You guys seem to have it easy compared to me. Everytime something goes wrong with one of our cars I have to determine if it animal damage OR component failure, and the troubleshooting is a nightmare.
I had said earlier that I estimated that a car would be in trouble if it sat for three days outside. I change that. The car is at risk during the first night, if left outside. I had left my 190 outside, and while working on it, animals were trying to check it out. I mean birds flying under the fenderwell, bugs trying to get into open hoses, wasps checking out the door jams...The next morning there was a 9ft. snakeskin under the hood. So our cars cannot stay outside.
I was about to say theynever come inside, thenI remembered.
One night I heard a noise in the kichen, looked around to see all my dogs were asleep in the bedroom, so I got up with firearm in hand, and proceeded to the kitchen. I flipped on the light, an behold there was a huge oppossum eating out of the dogfood bowl. I mean he must have been a 30pounder! The dogs came behind me and didn't even bark. I shouted, "Whyaren't you guys barking!?" They just looked at me as if to say, "oh that oppossum, he eats here ALL the time."So I yelled at the Opossum! "Get the hell out of my house! He grunted and went outside throught the dog-door. So I began to think, no wonder the dogfood bill is so high, i've been buying 1 bag per week.

Crikey!
Blue