General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 12:22 AM
Default check engine light

I have a 96E320 that I took in to get smogged and was told by tech that there is no data link and the check engine light does not turn on at all. HELP! I recently took the car in to get the head gasket replaced due to a leak and don't know if that had anything to do with it. I checked all the the fuses and they are all fine. Any insight will be much appreciated. Car sat in the garage for about 2 years so battery was drained.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:22 PM

Does anyone have or know where I can get the wiring diagram for the check engine light on a 96e320?

Old 10-26-2011, 10:29 PM

Drive the car for 100 miles or so and then go get the emission test done again. if you fail the first one you get a retest free of charge. thats how we do it in Pa.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:09 PM

Thanks for your response. My problem is that the check engine light does not come on at all. I know it's not the bulb because when they connected the code reader it read "No data". I recently had the head gasket replaced and don't know if that had anything to do with it. I was also told to check the cigarette lighter fuse and that also seems to be fine and working.. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. I also now see that the SRS light is on. When I start the car it blinks once and then stays on but don't know if there is any relation with check engine light.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Unhappy Car caught on fire

Car caught on fire today. I was driving and smelled something was burning. I pulled over and smoke was coming out from what appeared to be between the engine and firewall. I lifted the car and saw that the fillament and heat shield that I guess is between the body of the car were both burning. I disconnected the battery to make sure no further damage was caused and the compartment where the battery is, was so hot that I couldn't touch it. Anyone else have this happen to them.

Last edited by IBERBER; 10-27-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: misspelled words
Old 10-28-2011, 09:54 PM

if the heat shield is buring, was it directly above the cats? ive never seen cats cause a fire. maybe youve got a bad oil or tranmission fluid leak? burning on the exhaust .. did you have the whole car in the air, on a lift? or just jacked up on one side.
is your battery in the trunk?

Old 10-31-2011, 02:01 PM

It appeared to be directly above the cats.. I just lifted the car with a floor jack so couldn't really get under there to see. The battery is under the rear seat on passanger side. Odd thing is that I tried starting it and it starts right up and everything seems to work on it (Radio, ac all gauges). The car didn't/doesn't have any engine or tranny leaks. But the heat shield definetly burned as little chunks of pieces were falling on the ground glowing red from burning. The cars smells really bad now. At one point I noticed smoke coming up from the shifter (Its missing the platic around it and the lining that is on the shifter so you can see in when you shift from Park to another gear). Also, don't know if this helps but I changed the regulator on the blower motor a couple of weeks ago and thought that might be the cause or have something to do with it but haven't really checked that out yet. If that was the cause would the ac still work?

I can't help not wonder if the fact that the engine check light not working had something to do with it. When a code reader was plugged into the port, we got the message "No Data" which leads me to believe that the problem is electrical related.