General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Car Idles Rough after start

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Default Car Idles Rough after start

Yep. I'm the new guy with all the problems a c230 "sport coupe" can have. I do have one that I can't seem to figure out. Sometimes when I start my car it idles rough then i turn the car offthen on and all is well. It seems like i'm losing fuel pressure. I've had some mechanics tell me to check the hoses around the fuel pressure regulator?Where"exactly" are these hoses located?I probably would be asking if i knewwhere the fuel pressure regulator was?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Default RE: Car Idles Rough after start

Your waisting your time looking for a hose problem. The problem lies in a sensor. Crank sensor, mass air flow sensor and or the fuel pressure regulator.
It is probably storing a code but a generic code reader will not find it.
Take it to a dealer. Expect to spend about $300-$550

Old 09-13-2007, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the thoughts. However, the mechanic who told me it was a hose problem is certified mb and was working my car on the side.. I guess i can take it back to him. thanks again.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:39 PM

Hi,

First step determine whether any codes are stored.

Is service history/maintenance up to date. i.e. Good plugs, leads, oil change etc since you don't provide mileage age.

Next if you suspect that it is a fuel problem...your suggestion not mine...get the fuel rail pressure measured to see if this is in limit. A schraeder valce exists on the injector rail for this purpose.

The fuel pressure regulator is an integral part of the fuel filter which is located adjacent to the pump which will be near the tank possibly shielded by assorted plastic covers under the car by6 the rear axle.

If the problem clears itself after a restart it is likely that a startup electronics check is failing however so many things can cause this problem that you need to approach it systematically. theDTC codes will help in this process even ifnone are stored. i.e. It will point to things that do not set a code.

Report back your codes and progress.

Stuart.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:52 AM

Thank you for your imput Stuart.

I'm the original owner, car has 62k miles and is a 2002. All maintenance is up to date. I put newiridium plugs in and the problem appeared to go away. I assumed the rough idle was plug failure. My mb mechanic checked the fuel pressure and it's in range when running but indicated that the pressure is bleeding out over time when the car is off.No codes are registered/stored.His suggestion (which always seems to work) if on ignition the car runs rough let it do so for about 10 seconds while building pressurethen off then on and yep the car starts fine. His theory is that a hose on the regulator is leaking the pressure.

I'll be back with the final diagnosis.

Thanks again.