General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

C320 Acceleration Problem and CEL

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Default C320 Acceleration Problem and CEL

Guys, if I may, I’ll ask for a bit of patience with my ignorance because I’m a newbie to engineering forums!

I’ve got a 2000 - C320 - 105K miles and it damned nearly killed me today! I’ve developed an intermittent acceleration problem which makes turbo-lag seem tame: Not always, but most of the time when I kick down for power, there is hardly any gain for 6-10seconds, but then, all freaking hell lets loose and the car feels like an AMG!! After this the car ‘may’ drive fine and be responsive again; or, in the bizarre alternative it’ll give me a Check Engine Light (CEL),it’ll do both, or it'll do neither [&:][NB. The CEL goes out after an extended journey or can stay lit till the next day]

Further, when driving normally i.e. no kick down but maybe progressively pulling from a junction, I can get the same power-lag and a similar jolt of this time dangerously un-called for power!This again may or may not illuminate the CEL; but more importantly was the symptom that todayleft mefloundering in, andthen hurtling across a rush-hour roundabout -F##kin' thing!

Anywayz, final mention I supppose goes to the funny smell that lingers around the car normally after the CEL comes on – Its not always there, only after a bit of spirited driving! I don’t think it’s the ‘Cat’, but couldn't be sure without advice on how to be.

If anyone is kind enough to help, not too many acronyms or abbreviations would be much appreciated – I’m a good counsellor in my field, but, unlike a lot of you guys, a shocking engineer!

Thanx in anticipation… Pete.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: C320 Acceleration Problem and CEL

can't it be a blocked exhaust pipe or fuel starvation?

you have to find a workshop which could extract the fault code.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:38 AM

Hi,
No kompressor/turbo on the 320!
Get the codes read then come back.
Stuart

Old 05-27-2008, 04:28 AM

Thanx for the replies guys and sure, I'm fully aware there's no turbo or Kompressor on myC320! I was referring to the effects of 'turbo-lag'to simulate metaphorically how the car is behaving- In otherwords: Nothing for a while then everything!

As for the potentialof a blocked exhaust or fuel starvation, althoughI can't say for certain, the problem is progressive soI think not! WhatI mean is there's no spluttering or a sensationofstarvation, more an on/off predicatability that causes me to get ready tolift my right foot in anticpation of the power surge. I suppose its almost like an electronic fault where whatever signalthe engine needs to get goingis suddenly fed to it...

I'll try and get the codes and come back - Thanx for you help so far

Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 PM

Check to see when the fuel filter was last changed[/align]