General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

buying tip please

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Default buying tip please

hi everyone.
im thinking to buy an 89 300se with 150,000 miles.
im familiar with bmw(maintanance hog) but not with mb i would like to know what to look for.
thank you ron.

Old 03-05-2006, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: buying tip please

Hi Ron4cow,

I didn't really like my BMW either. It needed a $5500 repair at 40k; I wasn't happy with that.

I have had very good luck with my Mercy's. The 2001 has 110k and is doing fine. The '90 has 325k but is having a fuel injection problem right now, which I attribute to watered down gasoline, and will repaired soon.

I think the biggest factor in buying an older used Mercedes is evaluating the owner! In my opinion, there are two main types of owners.

The first type will take care of the car's engine and body, have it repaired properly when needed, keeps up with the oil changes etc, and keeps reciepts/records of work. This car is likely to have clean carpets, clean engine, decent tires, decent brakes etc. A car like this is well worth top dollar, all you have to do is continue the good ownership.

The second type of owner penny pinches the car to death. The car doesn't get proper work, needs brakes, tires, and isn't clean, and is probably missing several lights in the instrument panel. I think the general interior/exterior of the car is a fair indicator of how the engine has been cared for. If the car is missing trim, has poor paint, bad carpets, broken controls, or cheap tires, you can bet the engine hasn't had as much care. These owners either can't afford the car, or do not care about the car; either way you can expect to do the catch-up maintenence during YOUR ownership, so make sure you don't pay much for it. There's nothing wrong with fixer's if that's what you're looking for; the dealers can get/stock parts back to 1956.

At 150k, it could go either way. You could get a collector's car or one ready for the junkyard, so make sure you know which one you want. Of course remember everyone "claims" to have taken "excellent" care of their car. You be the judge, make them prove it.

Charles.