General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

bra for 300D?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 12:30 AM
Default bra for 300D?

hello all... i am in somewhat of a delema with my 76 300D.

the road infrount of my house is getting PEA GRAVELED[sm=noooo.gif]
in order to save 'wear and tear' on the road, they dump a bunch of pea gravel onto it, and spread it out.

I'm sure that is saves 'wear and tear' on the road, but it kills my paint (ugg its all origional except the frount fenders)

Is there anyone out there that knows of a bra that will fit a 76 300D, or can make one (low on funds here, less than 150 I could spend on one, sorry)

thanks, and please let me know about anything you can find, as i will be tearing up the internet trying to find my car a bra.

Nate

Old 11-10-2004, 09:25 AM
Default RE: bra for 300D?

Is this a high-speed road with a lot of traffic? I ask because using a bra on a gravel road isn't a good idea. Dust will gather between the bra and the paint and scratch the paint.

I would use a California Duster and stay far behind the car ahead of me. You can dust off your whole car in about two minutes. Just your front end in about ten seconds. A small price to pay to save the original paint on a classic. I do this on my classics and the paint isn't even original. I keep a duster in the trunk whenever I drive or tow them.

You can get clear static-cling plastic film that covers just the nose and areas behind each tire. I can't tell you where to buy it, I just know it's made. You wouldn't have a dust problem with this stuff. I stood next to a car that had it applied. It's a good idea on paper but it looks ridiculous because it's impossible to get all the little bubbles out from under it. Bubbles under a film is better than ruined paint, though.

Old 11-10-2004, 10:13 AM

there is concrete under it, and it is washed gravel, so no dust... but it is a high traffic area, half the traffic the highway gets has to come down my road.
people (myself included) tend to get p/o when they have to follow a slow car.

also should i just ask, my govener about this, and possiably reverce the action?
they seem dead set to do it after the winter, but i can try.

for the film, does it come off of the car without damaging the paint?
I'm considering it, but not looking forward to the bubbles, mabey if i use a squeegy (sp) i could get them out, if its wet underneath the film?

thanks Lugnut
Nate

Old 11-10-2004, 11:27 AM

A high-traffic road should not be gravel, IMO.

Dust will form as cars drive on the gravel.

You've seen plenty of amateur-applied window tint, haven't you? All those bubbles. Same thing with the nose film. Actually, its harder with film because of the varying shapes of a car's nose. If it's applied right and the film is a good fit you should be able to minimize the bubbles.