Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, lighting effects and other exterior mods here.

Bra or film for protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 02:04 PM
Default Bra or film for protection

I'm getting a new E320 CDI black/black. Any opinions on how best to keep the front painted area from deteriorating? Has anyone tried to use the protective film on black paint? Colgan bra?

Old 04-19-2004, 04:56 AM
Default RE: Bra or film for protection

I don't like a bra at the car (and not only there ) since first it looks not good and disturbs the appearance and second if you keep the bra on the color under the bra remains different to the rest of the car. Why to protect at all ? Repainting might be long term the nicer and easier solution.

Old 04-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

i thought they only use the bra during winter to avoid freezing.

when i used to work far north years ago, even trucks got bra!

Old 04-19-2004, 09:51 AM

You have to make sure the bra is always meticulously clean. Any dirt between the bra and car will scratch the paint.

You must remove it when it rains or whenver the bra gets wet. That's where discoloration comes in.

If it doesn't fit tightly and perfectly, it will flap while you drive and scratch the paint.

I've never seen a film applied without air bubbles. Looks terrible.

I think the bra provides more protection, if it fits properly and you keep it clean and dry.

Old 04-19-2004, 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Horsepower

I don't like a bra at the car (and not only there ) since first it looks not good and disturbs the appearance and second if you keep the bra on the color under the bra remains different to the rest of the car. Why to protect at all ? Repainting might be long term the nicer and easier solution.
I agree 100% with you

Old 04-19-2004, 02:55 PM

A bra is for protection, not show. I ruined the nose paint on my '00 Corvette by driving up the Blue Ridge Parkway during a summer night without one. The car was black, but by the time I got off the road, the whole front end was light brown and red. It was covered with smashed bugs. After carefully rinsing off the goo, I found numerous scratches in the paint. There were some tough little buggers that sacrificed themselves on my car. Modern clearcoat is too thin and soft to stand up to this kind of punishment. When you want to show the car, take the bra off.

Old 04-19-2004, 06:04 PM

Thanks. I think I will order one just to use during long drives through farm country. The bugs and little stone chips sure do a number on the car. I have a New Beetle that at 96,000 miles has a lot of chips and scratches just from driving it.

Keeping it clean and dry is important. I would wax it well to protect it a bit from self-scratching. The Colgan bras apparently breathe enough to avoid moisture damage, but I would remove it if it gets wet.

Seems like those bugs get onto the mirrors also. If not immediately removed, they stick like glue.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:39 PM

I think that the 3m protective film is better.U get the protection and don't spoil the look of your car.

Old 04-24-2004, 09:34 AM

I've seen a bra-like cover for outside rearview mirrors. Check around to see if a pair is made for your car.

Old 05-17-2004, 11:39 PM

Tin Man, go with the bra. A good quality, custom bra, not that cheap crap you get at Auto Zone. Lug Nut is right... keep it clean and use it only when needed. I restored an 86 Alfa Spyder (new paint included) about 6 years ago. I got the right bra, took care of it, and used it only when needed. I'm happy to say that every little bit of paint is still on the nose, and it looks as good as it did they day they painted it.

Quick Reply: Bra or film for protection