General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

becker grand prix balance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Default becker grand prix balance?

I just bought a 1988 300 SEL. It is my first mercedes, and so far I love it. The radio has a couple issues. Most of the sound seems to be coming out of the right side of the car. I don't think that the left speakers are broken- they do put out sound- just not half as much as on the right. Is there a control for left vs. right balance on this radio? Other questions: What do the two note buttons and the asterisk button do? Finally, is there a way to adjust bass and treble? Thanks for your input. Oh, and if there is someplace on the internet that has instructions for the radio, please let me know.
eric zacharias

Old 07-07-2006, 02:37 AM
Default RE: becker grand prix balance?

the note buttons (one is 2 notes and then some little astrik thingy) adjust the bass and treble and the balance of the speaks and also the fader. push once and twice and etc to flip through the menu and use the - and + to adjust accordingly.

j-mang

Old 07-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Default RE: becker grand prix balance?

The astrick is what you push to adjust the balance. First of all the Bass and treble are adjusted by the music notes on the left. Both have 4 levels of adjustment. In order to adjust the balance, push the astrick and the left musical note becomes left balance, the right becomes the right balance.

It should also be noted that the button next to the astrick that looks like an antenna is a sensitivity selector. it has 3 settings, on one of the settings it picks up only the strongest closest stations, on the other setting it picks up almost any station, and the medium setting it picks up medium strength stations.

To set stations simply put it on the station youd like and push the number you've selected and hold for a few seconds (just like aftermarket radios).

These radios are also equipped with speed-dependent volume adjustment, something that other car manufacturers are just discovering.

people always critcize these radios for being too complicated but in reality, compared to newer car radios it is simple.

another thing to note about the radio system is the fader switch. If it makes crackling noises when it is adjusted it is time for a new one, or at least a cleaning. Mercedes has redesigned an improved version of the switch. Now it is one peice instead of mulitple parts attached together. The fader switch is part number 124-820-64-10.

In addition to the fader switch the radio system is also equipped with the antenna adjustment switch in cars built before 1991. The reason for the adjustment was because for AM stations reception is sometimes better when the antenna is not fully extended.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14165/094F7D243A8E4C38B27FE60243C94705.gif[/IMG]