General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Battery question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Default Battery question

Hi all,
I have a 1985 500SEL with 112,000 miles. The car stills runs good and is in good condition. Two questions:

a. I'm actually car sitting this Mercedes for my parent for a couple years. I don't use it as a daily car. It mainly sits in the garage. Now, how often should I drive the car around to charge the battery? I was planning to take it out every 4 weeks and drive around city steets and for about 5 to 7 miles. Would this be sufficient to charge the battery? Also, can I charge the battery just running the engine for 5 minutes or so? Just want to know the best way to charge the battery without plugging it into a battery charger.

b. Is it necessary to take the car out every 4 weeks for the purpose of running the engine and getting all the parts moving and lube? If so, will city street driving be sufficient or should I take it on the freeway (high speed)? I figure I put 5-10 miles.

So basically, I have a car that is in storage, but want to maintain it. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Default RE: Battery question

Hi all,
I for got one more item.

c. I just changed the oil and oil filter. I figure this car will just get about 500-1000 miles per year. How often (months or miles) should the oil be changed since it's in storge. At this low milage, is it necessary to change the oil filter everytime I change the oil.

Thanks.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:15 PM

I don't really know specific times for you, perhaps one of the wrench heads on this forum can tell you. However, fluids do deteriorate over time whether used of not. Brake fluid, power steering fluid, coolant all can deteriorate and injure what contains them.
You're asking a good question. My gut says, I'd start it up and drive it 20 miles twice a month at least. Also, I wouldn't balk at putting the battery on a trickle charger. You can't over do it at low amps. At least I don't thing so.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:04 AM

Your plan is sound. About 20 minutes of city driving will accomplish your goal. High speed is quite unnecessary. Be aware that when you return the car it may be due for a new battery anyway, just due to its age.

Go Panthers!

Old 01-20-2006, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

My two cents.

Any time you drive a vehicle, it is better for it if you always get it up to normal operating temperature for all fluids that gain heat. The reason is by heating these fluids (engine oil mainly), you are allowing condensed water to be removed. This helps all the seals also. So, drive it 20 minutes or so at least, more is better. Don't forget to check tire pressure as it will slowly go down in a sitting car. Try to enjoy the car as weather permits, maybe every two weeks, use the heater to circulate the coolant. Wash it even if it looks clean since dirt and chemicals will damage the paint sitting in a garage. Have fun and post some pictures.