General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Another SLS Thread. Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Default Another SLS Thread. Please Help.

I really hate to flog a dead horse with this but I have read a million posts on this forum and can't seem to find the specific answers I'm looking for...

When I got my '84 300TD Wagon the right rear shock was leaking which caused the system to run dry, and there is no telling how long the previous owner drove it like that. I could potentially have to replace several components, so considering a bypass conversion instead. I know the arguments against such move, but can't justify spending 1K or more on the suspension. My questions are as follows...

#1 What shocks are compatible/recommended with this model? One that fits, can carry the load, and provide a good ride height. There is a post by unclejonboy specifying a Monroe shock but my search for the part number came up empty.

#2 What are the potential problems/risks or general things to look out for when removing the hyro pump and covering it with a plate? The one on mercedessource.com looks easy enough to put on, but it worries me to remove such a significant part of the original car.