General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Always wanted an Aston Martin!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Default Always wanted an Aston Martin!!

I've driven junk cars most of my life because I'll never be able to afford a DBS. Still have my '80 Z28 though and I did enjoy my '75 Rabbit

Had a "senior's moment" at the auction a couple of weeks ago and bought a '93 400E for $6,000. I'd driven an MB before and heard that it was a "driver's car" but driving a friend's new 560SL 'round San Diego for a couple of days isn't quite like owning one. It was a BIG mistake buying this because now I AM SOLD! It has always pissed me off that we have been building cars for 100 years and we keep making the same mistakes over and over. So how nice to drive a car that is "right"! So now it has to be fixed or replaced with another MB! NO OPTIONS!!

Had 3 problems, Driver's window didn't close fully - $600 - fixed. Drivers side door lock is ratched - $240 install remote locking - done! Heater blower doesn't seem to work..... hmmm. I did my first engine job when I was 15 and I am skilled "fitter and turner" (whatever that means) so I figured I just need some shop manuals....

There seems to be a few shop manuals available so I "threw a dart" and bought a couple a CD's from Manuals Unlimited. They are unmittigated CRAP! A coulage of PDF documents that may be usefull to a trained MB mechanic but have no index or cross reference and very little text (Multi-lingual???). I notice there is more info on 1992 300E, photographs even. I sort of expect a shop manual section to begin with "Theory of Operation". Not an iota of info in this lot!

So, firstly I am looking for a good set of shop manuals - help please what to buy?

Secondly, the high was -15C today so we sort of need the heater working. I've checked what I can (seperate fuse for blower) and am at the point where I think the blower motor is just cooked, might be a lose wire? (wishful thinking!) But everything else works, just don't have a fan. I think I know where the blower is but how do you remove this unit on a 1993 400E?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Always wanted an Aston Martin!!

sorry about those troubles frank.

keep on searching from this forum. most of those have been discussed and solutions stated.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Default RE:Okay, So here's what I found

Sleepwalker, thanks for that. I'm not sure why people insist on calling me Frank when I'm really neither Frant nor Ernest - JUST KEN!! But maybe some people just don't read my post properly? Is that why you call yourself "Sleepwalker"?

So 9 hours later I have learnt a lot more about the E400 and have tracked down info on the blower motor - most interestingly to find out (not on this forum) that the problem is simply the brushes are worn out. Hmmmm... Motor $300 - Brushes $15??? What to do, what to do!!

You're quite right. There are many, many posts on these topics. Someone even suggested incllusion in the FAQ. Better still what about a seperate Forum? Since the manual problem seems to be somewhat model specific, maybe a "sticky" topic in each forum would work better.

Since they rest of my response is intended to be most useful to members looking for info I will post it in a new thread.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: RE:Okay, So here's what I found

jeez, i was really to call you Ken, but somehow it turns out to be different when i wrote it.

okay just post new topic and we'll get to it.

i just came back from long trip yesterday and cannot reply more specific.

Old 12-04-2005, 02:36 AM

Howdy Frank!

just kidding.

Hello Kenny Boy.

Greetings from monkey man.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:55 AM

Sleekwalker, the "Frank" thing is actually quite amazing and maybe worth it's own thread, if not it's own forum!! It started about 25 years ago and has been so consistant. Just EVERYBODY seems to call me Frank at some point early in an aquaintance and I am at a total loss to know why, or why it chamged 25 years ago. I always introduce myself as Ken - sometimes I would swear that I haven't even mentioned my last name and still it continues, over the phone, in person. It is most amazing when people do on the web. My handle is almost always KenF. There is no "tone of voice" or inflection to influence the responder. I think it may be a socialogical change but I am at a total loss to think what. So I always correct people right away now. Don't think too hard about it - it'll drive you nuts!

Couldn't resist having a little fun with your handle though!

Later,