General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

AHH COME ON GUYS PLEASE HELP A GAL OUT

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Default AHH COME ON GUYS PLEASE HELP A GAL OUT

I need instruction on how to replace the modulator valve ( red) it sits flush and I just cant see a way to get the thing out of there..... its 230se euro specs ..oh 1983 says the title. The dang thing drives in reverse but now it will not go forward ( was a lil' before but with NO power like the tranny was slippin). H E L P !

Old 04-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Default RE: AHH COME ON GUYS PLEASE HELP A GAL OUT

I have not changed out a modulator valve in a long time, but as I recall changing it out was the easy part. It sits at the rear of the transmission on the right hand side and all you do is disconnect the vacuume line running to it and (I think) unscrew the bolt that holds it in. Make sure you oil the 0-ring before you slide the new one in or it might be damaged.

The tricky part is adjusting it. Did you get a little "key" when you picked up the part? You should have as you will need it to adjust the shift times. This is sort of an art and I do not feel qualified to say much about it.

You can likely get forward motion by filling your transmission with fluid to the proper level. You will start blowing a lot of white smoke out the back as the transmission fluid will be pulled through the bad modulator and into the intake of the engine. Don't worry. You will not hurt the engine like this but you will not be helping the transmission much.

Do not take this to a transmission shop unless they advertise that they work on Mercedes. The cost to replace and adjust this will likely be under $100 and it will be money well spent to have this done right.

Sam

Old 04-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Default RE: AHH COME ON GUYS PLEASE HELP A GAL OUT

thank you so much I will look at it when I get home from work.....