General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Help with my old gal

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Default Help with my old gal

I am new here on this forum and I need some help keeping my cherished old 1986 190e going. It runs like a top, never misses a beat. The body is almost as good as the day it came off the showroom. Guys ask me all the time if I would like to sell it. I have 130,000 miles on it. There is nothing wrong with it except this one problem I am hoping some kind person here on this forum can help me with. [X(]

The air conditioning does not work any longer. It is out of Freon, and nobody will recharge it for me. My mechanic told me to convert to something else would be way to cost prohibitive if it could be done at all. I live near Seattle and air conditioning is not needed to cool the car very often, but it is nice to aid in clearing the windows etc. I would just leave it as it is, but here is the problem. As the air and heat work together in unison, no matter what I do, I can not get hot air from coming into the car and just about driving me out of the car when I am driving. I have everything shut off but still there is enough residual hot air coming into the cabin from somewhere that it is very uncomfortable. Is there a way of shutting the hot water from coming into the cabin area? I think this is where the unbearable heat is coming from as the hot water still circulates into the heater coil. I can not see a petcock or anything else to turn the flow of water off to the cabin, is there one?

Any help would be most gratefully appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Help with my old gal

the mono/duo valve must be seized and cannot close anymore.

it is normally open, and will close if energized.

there's no pet or **** on it.

inserting something inside to block the passage of water can be a temporary remedy. a used spark plug will fit inside (i didn't say that )

Old 05-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Default RE: Help with my old gal

If you are talking about the vacume valve that is in the plenum chamber where the wiper motor and other stuff is, well that could be it. I guess I am not sure if that is the mono/duo valve you are talking about. I have no problem checking that out, except I guess I have to disconnect the negitive battery cable and of course I will have to have the dealer reset the radio again. GGGGUUUUURRRRR!!!!! Thanks for the help.