General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Adding Acetone to your Gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Default RE: Adding Acetone to your Gas

LUGNUT,

I find your attitude objectionable, uncalled for and frankly childish.
Why do you have to resort to being personal just because I make some valid observations regarding different perceptions regarding the need to change oil, filters etc at a frequency considerably greater than the manufacturers recommended frequency.
You don't appear to be willing to even read what I have written and if you have I can't understand why your replies are so incoherent.

It is obvious that your understanding of how the EGR system works is less than complete or incorrect since you indicated that it is a by which unburnt fuel is burnt. I attach a definition regarding this matter since you might wish to increase you knowledge on the subject.
It appears from your replies that only Lugnut can have an opion and when challenged resorts to personal attack!
I stand by my technically sound comments in my previous posts and will leave other participants of this forum to make their judgement regarding the rights and wrong of our intercourse.

Stuart

Definition: The EGR valve is the main emissions control component in the exhaust gas recirculation system. The valve is located on the intake manifold, and opens a small passageway between the exhaust and intake manifold to allow a metered amount of exhaust to flow back into the engine. This reduces combustion temperatures (By introducing CO2 from the exhaust ilo some of the O2 into the cylinder which subsequently burns less efficiently than the normal O2 charge) and helps control the formation of oxides of nitrogen. (The cat burns up any left over fuel in the subsequent exhaust gas.) The valve should remain closed while the engine is cold and at idle. It should only open once the engine has warmed up and is running at part-throttle. If the valve sticks shut (or is disconnected), NOX emissions will soar and detonation will often result (See Detonation and Spark Knock). If it sticks in the open position or fails to close all the way, it acts like a vacuum leak resulting in a rough idle, hesitation and possible stalling.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:20 PM

You're making too much of this. Being "****" comes to mind. Stop being a friggin' [sm=smiley35.gif].

If you'll notice, I put quote marks around the word capture when I used. That means it's not really doing it literally. Please go back to the third grade and learn this. Then, you went off the deep end with your correction infused with your mightier-than-thouness. Up yours with a drive shaft, fella.

The EGR doesn't burn unburnt fuel as its primary purpose. I never said it does. Neither does crankcase ventilation. Both, however, burn unburned fuel because the exhaust and blowby gases always have some unburned fuel. On cars without these systems, the unberned fuel goes out the exhaust pipes, [sm=smiley35.gif]. Please go back and study these systems before opening your [sm=smiley35.gif] mouth again.

Thank you. Please drive through. Go be [sm=smiley35.gif] somewhere else.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

excuse me guys