General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

99 ML430 A/C drier service

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 02:04 AM
Default RE: 99 ML430 A/C drier service

And if it ONLY drips from the radiator area, and NOT at all from near the psgr seat or glove box area, what should I do, or where should I look? In other words, just where SHOULD it drip from (under the car)?

Old 03-06-2006, 02:23 AM

OK. I turned it on, the car and the AC. I then put the underdash filter back in and closed up that area. Tha AC is on "all the way" and on "re-circulate", and has been on f/ 10 minutes. Its 65 outside and low humidity here in Phx AZ area, and no drips AT ALL.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

i have no picture and cannot point directly the condensed water drain from underneath the car.

there is a hose from evaporator housing going down there.

using a long screwdriver or wire, you can try pushing through that hole opening.

i'll find diagram.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:44 AM

Thank you. You are MOST helpful. I appreciate that very much. I try to recall exactly where it (water from AC) normally drips. Perhaps it is too dry this evening. Afterall, I am in the desert. I lived for 1 and 1/2 yrs in Hawaii, and met some very pleasant Phillipino folks there. Again, thank you.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:13 AM

Hi, I'm back.

You say that you are in the desert = very dry. Therefore it is possible that there may not be any condensate dripping from the car when you do the test stated by sleepwalker. With it on recirc your exhaled breath might give some drips however.

How did you decide that the filter(s) were OK? and you only mentioned one. The pollen filter (corrugated paper) doesn't absorb smells, just dust. The activated charcoal (black granules with gauze covering) absorbs smells but doesn't last forever even if it hasn't had to absorb smells. e.g. smoking. Do you or a previous owner smoke(d) in the car?

Unlikely to be a water leak into the vehicle since in the desert (do you use a car wash? Guess cars don't get dirty either in the desert. Does the car use water. i.e. a coolant leak into the cabin which has found its way under the front carpets.

If not I think sleepwalker has made his first advance sale for his "coffee" machine.

UK weather is a bit different to the desert! Stuart

Old 03-06-2006, 07:14 AM

I have never noticed any consumption of coolant. Nor is there ANY ongoing or constant odor, nor any sign of moisture collecting in the carpet. The slight smell seems to occur while the AC fan is blowing, but only AFTER the actual refrigeration has operated for (even a brief) period of time. I don't notice any odor upon first entering the SUV or before the AC works a bit. And ONLY the "corrugated" filter was found (by me) earlier, and cleaned off with canned air, then re-installed. I have not yet looked for any other filter, such as this charcoal one you mentioned. Please advise. THX!!! and cheers, mate!

Old 03-06-2006, 09:41 AM

Hi Sleepwalker,
Is there a charcoal filter on the ML? If so do you have a picture of its location? Stuart

Old 03-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

nope. he got no charcoal filter because it's an offroad vehicle.

that dust filter also serve as charcoal filter if he install one.

there are two types of filter element for it.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:42 PM

You learn something new everyday!
Strange how an SLK has both a pollen and a charcoal filter with an open roof and a 4X4 only has one. Cost down?
NB I didn't get an answer re the R230 pdf documents which i sent to Support.
stuart

Old 03-06-2006, 04:52 PM

If no picture is found, please try to describe where this tube should be coming down, out of the chassis. I thought it used to drain near the front passenger-side wheel, but I don't see any tube or hose in that area.

Quick Reply: 99 ML430 A/C drier service